Saturday, 5 January 2013

Vegan Mincemeat and Cranberry Flapacks

I was very disappointed in myself in that I did not get round to making my own Chocolate Yule Log for the festivities. It was something I had planned and was actually looking forward to making - just time got the better of me. I did however get round to making about a dozen mincemeat pies from scratch each topped with star shaped pastry lids including the vegan mincemeat filling.

As you may know, many traditional recipes use meat suet in their mincemeat, nowadays in the U.K we are fortunate to have access to vegetable suet. However, I am aware that not everyone is able access vegetable suet in their countries, so I prefer Rose Elliots method of introducing mashed banana in its place. Another benefit of this recipe is that it can be made and used immediately, no decanting and sealing in jars, and its not overly sweet like some that are just too heavy on the sugar. The only main change I have made to the recipe is the addition of cranberries and apricots, namely for visual presentation, so that the coloured dried fruit glimmer like precious gemstones. Mmmm the real spice girl in me, (not the girl pop-band wannabe), but the girl who likes her spices has been thinking about the addition of chilli next time...
Anyway, as well as the mincemeat pies which after a while lose their festive appeal, I decided to use some of the mincemeat in some flapjacks, a good decision, I have to say as I preferred them much more to the mincemeat pies.  These mincemeat flapjacks sliced handsomely and to boot, were quite tasty and fruity sharp. 

I am not expecting you to go out now and make this mincemeat recipe from scratch, but if you do have some mincemeat left over in jars, well why not think about making this flapjack recipe or even my Mincemeat and Apple Crumble Tart (see side-bar).   I am linking this recipe with Jacqueline at Tinned Tomatoes. Jacqueline is hosting January 2013 Edition #20 of  Bookmarked Recipes: a monthly blog event initiated by Ruth of Ruth's Kitchen ExperimentsBefore I go , I wanted to share whilst catching up on my blog -reading, I noted that fellow blogger Kath at The Ordinary Cook had also made some Mincemeat Bars - see here for her tasty version.

Mincemeat and Cranberry Flapjacks
Ingredients
Makes about 16
250g butter
250g golden caster sugar
175g golden syrup
425g rolled oats
200g - 250g mincemeat (make sure its suitable for vegetarians) home-made or from a jar
To make your own vegan mincemeat see recipe below
Small handful of dried cranberries
Small handful of dried apricots, roughly chopped
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 4 or 180oc.
Grease a medium sized baking tray about 8inch by 8 inch square.
In a large saucepan, melt the butter, sugar and golden syrup.Take of the heat, then evenly stir in the oats and the prepared mincemeat and a handful of dried cranberries.
Using a spatula, carefully turn out into the baking tray and press down. Place the tray in the oven for 25 – 30 minutes or until the sides are golden. Remove from the oven. Allow to cool, before slicing

Vegan Mincemeat

Ingredients
Enough for 3 dozen pies

250g cooking apples, peeled and chopped 
400g mixed dried fruit such as currants, raisins and sultanas
50g dried cranberries
40g dried apricots, rouhgly chopped
50g dates, roughly chopped
1 large ripe banana, mashed
 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg,
½ teaspoon mixed spice
4 tablespoons of Rum or Brandy
Method
Simply mix all the ingredients in a bowl.  Leave overnight for the flavours to meld then its ready to use straight away.  Adapted from Rose Elliot - The original British Queen of Vegetarian Cooking.  The original recipe can be found here from The Guardian.

10 comments:

  1. This sounds great and is very timely as I have decided to make the shift to veganism this year so will be looking for lots of new recipes x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fran and good luck with you new vegan diet, certainly will require discipline.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for the link. I know we disagree, but I would definitely eat these all year round. Looking forward to the pic. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kath, still having probs uploading - hence the reason still haven't linked it to Jacquelines bookmarked recipes event too.

      Delete
  3. oooo, yummy! Just been reading about uploading photo probs with others and it seems google chrome is the answer, I use this anyway as I find it easier for blogging. Internet Explorer is behaving badly in many areas recently, I've found! Suzy x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thaks Suzy, still having probs with uploading images - hopefully it will be resolved soon.

      Delete
  4. These sound and look beautiful! I saw mincemeat flapjack in Sainsbury's but I never got round to trying it. I'm sure these are much better than theirs anyway! I look forward to maybe seeing some with chilli next year?! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum, I have copied this recipe to my 'Shaheen' file, LH will love these (and I might be tempted to have one or two too).

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sue. It is quite sweet and sticky, so I've been told :)

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen