Sunday, 6 January 2013

Vegan Lemon and Orange Poppy seed Cake

Another one from last years unblogged archive of photographs and recipes.  For some reason, these vegan Lemon Poppy seed cakes are not as popular as my vegan Chocolate cakes, maybe I just need to gussy them up with some glaze, icing or frosting.  I've even considered slicing them in two and filling it with lemon curd, but then it would not be suitable for vegans.  I still continue to make them, hoping that their lightness and gently sweetness will win some hearts, but no - they tend to get ignored.
I often make these vegan Lemon in mini loaf pans and it yields 12 mini loafs, but you can try and make one large tray bake . As for the Vegan Orange Poppy seed Cake in little round baking tins, a little more appealing to the eyes. 
I honestly don't know where I acquired the recipe, I found it a scrappy hand-written A4 paper tucked in one of my early vegan cookbooks: 365 plus one Vegan Recipes reprinted as Easy Vegan Cooking.  Anyway, I've adapted this recipe a little further, just by substituting the lemon juice with fresh orange juice.

I am still having problems downloading images onto my blog, this images for this blog entry had been uploaded last week.
A2K Vegan Lemon or Orange Poppy seed Cake
Yields 12 mini loafs
Ingredients
460g plain flour
300g golden caster sugar
2 teaspoons bicarbonate of soda
1 teaspoon salt
450ml water
275ml vegetable oil
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
1 teaspoon grated lemon zest or orange zest
Juice from 2 lemons or from 2 oranges
40g poppy seeds
A2K Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 4/180
Line a 9 x 13 inch baking tin or 12 mini loaf tins.
Combine the first 4 dry ingredients together, then stir in the wet ingredients and zest.  Gently and evenly fold in the poppy seeds.  Carefully pour into baking tin/s and bake for 20 - 25 minutes for the smaller versions or 35 - 40 minutes for larger cake.  Bake until golden, risen and firm to the touch.  These are best eaten within a couple of days

11 comments:

  1. I will have to try these for Graham, he is seriously missing out on baked goods now he is vegan. Off to look at the chocolate cakes next.

    ps what size are the mini loaf tins?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jacqueline, I think they are about 2 inch by 31/2 inches.

      Delete
  2. This is the best way to start 2013. i really like a lemon cake

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look great! My lemon cake recipe won't work with the type of egg replacer I usually use...the lemon juice somehow melts the egg replacer and I end up with mush! I shall ask my mum to try making this for me next time she's baking me one...useless for me to try, I have a trouble with making cakes that rise!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Sooz,
    These are a bit hit and miss too, sometimes they rise fantastically, other times not so much - still edible though. You can half the quantity too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How delicious they look Shaheen..each little cake a treasure itself.

    I have thought hard about what you mention.. "maybe I just need to gussy them up with some glaze, icing or frosting".

    Nothing came to mind immediately...maybe a glaze as you say? It is getting on to be seed ordering time..maybe selling with a visual link to spring around the corner, a display of seed packets? Maybe a red or hot pink poppy color paper for presentation other than beige? I know you would only take these words as enthusiasm and encouragement.

    So pleased to see you blogging more!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Gardeningbren. You really are kind. I totally hear what your saying and I totally agree, thank you so much for the gently ease in the right directin - yes def. need to see a dif colour than beige, onely drawback the greasproof/baking parchment paper only comes in white or beige, so I will look out for other paper lining when I visit Cardiff next. I truly do accept your words as encouragment x Work is slow to take off with the NY, so have been getting hoem a little earlier, so taking advantage of it while I can, still not enough time to visit blogger heart friends x You are in my thoughts. x

      Delete
  6. I think a tiny drizzle of a simple white icing (icing sugar and lemon juice) with a little curl of lemon zest would make these pretty enough to be snapped up by those with a swwet tooth.

    I like them as they are but for selling you perhaps do need to 'tittyfy' as Frankie Howerd used to say :-)

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Excellent idea Sue, I will try that next time I make the lemon version. Not heart 'tittfy' before :) new one one me.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You