Tuesday, 8 January 2013

Sweet Potato Cranberry Brownies

I know some of you have made resolutions to lose a few inches from your waistline, so please don't be too mift with me with what I am about to share with you - a rich decadent chocolate brownie made from sweet potatoes and cranberries.  Its based on the Beetroot Brownie recipe featured on my blog last year. I figured I'd have a go at replacing the beetroot with sweet potatoes this time- Isn't that how lots of (acclaimed) bakers get their ideas, thinking outside of the box, except I am not a baker, well not a real baker, but an experimental cook and this substitute worked fabulously. 

I don't rave too much about chocolaty things, but oh my goodness, these are terribly good treat for your eyes, mouth, tongue and tummy - just not for your waistline.  For those of you who want to curb your curiosity, a small piece will suffice, not a whole slice or bar of brownie as I'd like to call it - that would surely make you faint with joy.
I've actually been terribly good over the festive period not over-indulging in rich, decadent  food.  The odd chocolate piece has passed my mouth, but other than that its been plain and simple. 

The orange of the sweet potatoes gets completely lost in the cooking of the brownie, in fact you would not know sweet potatoes was a key ingredient in this recipe. If you do get round to making it, please let me know what you think.  I am entering this recipe into Javelin Warrior's Made with Love, Mondays recipe round up of from-scratch recipes: and  into December -January editiion of Simple and In Season, a monthly event created by Ren Behan at Fabulicious Food. This month it is being hosted by Karen at Lavender and Lovage.   

Sweet Potato, Cranberry, Chocolate Brownies
Makes 10 squares if you want big indulgent greedy slices; or15 pieces if your being very good.
A2K Ingredients
250g unsalted butter, cut into cubes
200g plain chocolate (about 70% cocoa solids), roughly chopped
250g golden caster sugar
3 medium free range eggs
150g self-raising flour
Pinch of salt
200g-250g sweet potatoes, peeled and grated

Handful of fresh or dried cranberries
Method
Preheat the oven to gas mark 3/170oc. Lightly grease a baking tin that's roughly 8 inch by 8 inch. Line the bottom with baking parchment paper too.
Put the cubed butter and chocolate into a bain marie or heatproof bowl and melt the chocolate and butter in the bowl held over a pan of simmering water.
In another bowl, whisk the sugar with the eggs. Stir in the melted chocolate mixture. Sift in the flour and salt, stir gently, folding in the grated sweet potato and cranberries. Pour carefully and evenly into the prepared tin.
Bake for 25-30 minutes. Be very careful not to overcook the brownies. Remove from the oven, then stand the tray on a wire rack until cool enough to cut into squares. Adapted from this recipe previously posted on my blog.

12 comments:

  1. Firmly on the to-do list. They look great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, so hope you enjoy. Happy NY to you.

      Delete
  2. Happy new year! I am determined not to read your recipe - I've given up chocolate (not a piece has touched my lips since Christmas Eve) - but I might be able to help on the images front. Download Google Chrome and access your blog that way - it worked for me after much hair-pulling-out and shouting. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :D Kitchenmaid, I understand totally.
      Thanks re the advice on images front, will try it tomorrow evening.

      Delete
  3. Happy new year, Shaheen! Thank you for visiting my blog and apologies for neglecting yours, I have been trying to bite too much last months of 2012, too many reviews, I need to slow down. These brownies look very festive and pretty. I should browse your blog for the inspiration. I think I'm too tired after the holidays, need to find my mojo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So lovely to hear from you Galina, I understand on the neglect of reading fellow bloggers blogs, I am so behind at the moment and don't think I will ever catch up,

      Delete
  4. sometimes the internet is a very good thing because I love to see these but if they were about I would definitely be tempted to eat more that one - sounds just lovely

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :) I know where you are coming from, and guess what I was a good girl and only had one.

      Delete
  5. Very creative spin on brownies and love the addition of cranberries and sweet potatoes to replace some of the fat. The brownies look like they developed a wonderful top "crust" which I love in brownies... Thanks so much for sharing with Made with Love Mondays and welcome to the series!

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look great! I love the idea of adding sweet potatoes - I shall give them a whirl.

    Wishing you a happy, healthy and inspiring year ahead.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pls let me know how you find them when you make them, I will then link this reciipe to your blog post if you post them on you blog. Wishing you a good NY too, I have a feeling this year will be better than the past three.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen