Thursday, 31 January 2013

Clementine and Chilli Cheesecake

Would you beileve me if I told you that I only made this Clementine and Chilli Cheesecake last night, well I did.

There was a period of my life when I loved indulging in a slice of cheesecake: mango, rhubarb and strawberry being some of my favourite flavours, but then I got sick of the rich creamy cloddy cloy mass and avoided it for years.  Its only in the last few days, I thought why not give it a go with my favourite spice: chilli and the seasonal fruit of the moment - the clementine! And this Clementine and Chilli Cheesecake was created for your eyes to feast on.
Eating my rather large slice was the easy part, getting the first slice out of the baking tin was a tad hard, I had to do it slowly and carefully, in fear that the whole cake would collapse, but it came out well.
The sweet flavours of the clementine come through and so does the chilli, not so hot to blow your head off, but subtle to tease and let you know its there in the background.
Clementine and Chilli Cheesecake
Serves 8
Ingredients
Packet of digestive biscuits
55g butter
225g cream cheese
280ml whipping cream
85g caster sugar
Zest and Juice from 2 large and firm clementines
Pinch of chilli flakes plus extra for garnishing
1 whole clementine, peeled and segments separated for the topping
Method
Grease and line the bottom of a 8 inch cake tin and crush all the biscuits in a bowl.  Then melt the butter in a pan and stir in the biscuit crumbs.  Tip this into the cake tin, spread out and press firmly with the back of a spoon.  Chill in the fridge.  Put the zest and juice of the clementines into a bowl and stir in the sugar until dissolved.  Stir in the cream cheese until it is of a smooth consistency.  Whip the cream in another bowl, then fold into the cheese mixture, finally fold in the chilli flakes until combined.  Then evenly spoon the mixture onto the biscuit base.  Smooth out flat, cover with cling film and chill for at least 2 hours; even better overnight.
When the cheesecake is set, remove from the tin and decorate with clementine segments and sprinkle of the chilli flakes.  Slice and serve.

10 comments:

  1. That sounds lovely - I'm a big fan of chilli and I bet the contrasting hot and cold work really well. May I have a large slice too please? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Elizabeth. You may certainly have a slice, but you will have to fight my husband for it :)

      Delete
  2. As a huge chilli fan I am already imagining how good this would taste. I love cheesecake base so much and this is a topping I will be trying out because it is both fresh and fiery!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is good, fresh and fiery as you say.

      Delete
  3. I had a clementine cheesecake in edinburgh but this looks so much more my sort of thing even with the chilli - I don't have cheesecake often so when I do I want them to be excellent

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Johanna, I think this one is excellent, so I do hope you get to make it one of these days.

      Delete
  4. Great unique combination of flavors, I am planning to try this soon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you so much Freda. I am so delighted that you like the combo of flavours. Let me know if and when you make it and I will link your version from my blog.

      Delete
  5. luks so yummy!must try out soon:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you MiniBinoy. Good to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen