Tuesday, 15 January 2013

Orange and Chilli Granita

I know its snowing heavily in some parts of the U.K, and the last thing some people want to see is a recipe for something cold and icy, but in my defence the flakes of chilli in this granita will give you a little warmth, if not a little fire.  
This recipe is an adaptation of my  Lemon and Rosemary version; and its proved to be quite popular amongst my taste testers - the  young nephew and my husband - the chief taste tester.   I also made a coffee version of granita but that did not go down so well, main criticism for that one was it was not strong enough, fair enough. 
I am sharing this Orange and Chilli Granita with Karen at Lavender and Lovage and Kate of What Kate Baked for their Tea Time Treats. The theme for January is citrus; as well as One Ingredient with Laura of How to Cook Good Food and Nazima of Franglais Kitchen who are featuring on orange this month. 
Orange and Chilli Granita
You will need a food processor for this recipe
Ingredients
Juice and zest of 5 unwaxed oranges
300g sugar
1 3/4 pints of water

1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes or to taste
Method
Gently bring all the ingredients to a boil, stirring frequently until all the sugar has melted. Simmer for a couple of minutes, then remove from the heat and leave it to cool.
When cool enough, pour into a suitable plastic container and freeze. Freeze, then after an hour or so take out of freezer and blend in food processor, pour back into container and freeze for another hour or so, then remove from freeze and blend again. This is to ensure that there are no mass of ice, but soft crystals. Then freeze. Twice should be enough, but you may want to do it a third time if you want softer crystals.


12 comments:

  1. Oh thank you for this recipe. It's 35c here in rural NSW today and I have a glut of lemons. I think I might make a lemon and mint version of your recipe to cool down. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Louise, Lemon and mint sound great.

      Delete
  2. I love the addition of chilli in my desserts - love the deceptive heat that you get from them. Would love to try this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you get to try it Needful things, its so easy to make.

      Delete
  3. The orange and chilli granita is a great idea! Can't wait to have a go! Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Hope you get a chance to give it a go

      Delete
  4. Oh how gorgeous. I am a massive chilli fan and adding some chilli to a granita would just make it so perfect to enjoy in this chilly weather. A lovely light dessert to enjoy after the indulgences of the festive period. I haven't been to visit your blog for ages but do love it. I am aft to follow you on Twitter now!
    Thanks for entering One Ingredient xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you so much Laura. It certainly is light. I promise not to tweet nonsense stuff too much. Thanks for following.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I LOVE citrus and chilli together and I also adore granita too, makes me feel a little less guilty than eating ice cream! I FAB entry thanks Shaheen and lovely to see you back! Karen

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sooo much Karen. Lovely to hear from you.

      Delete
  7. What a fab entry to the challenge. I love a good granita, though never made it myself. Brings back memories of hot days in Italy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen