Monday, 7 January 2013

Vegan Chocolate Cake with Clementine and Cranberries

I forgot to post the vegan chocolate cake recipe up on this post and some of my lovely readers have gently reminded me of this omission, so this has given me another excuse to post another variation of that vegan chocolate cake, this time topped with fresh clementine pieces and fresh cranberries.  This cake can also be topped with dried fruit or just dark chocolate buttons.

Its a fragile cake and will stick to the baking tin, so I strongly advise lining the base with parchment paper.  Here i used a Christmas themed one,
I have had positive remarks about this vegan chocolate cake from many people who are vegan, saying its one of the moist vegan cakes they have ever had. Unlike some vegan cakes that are just too heavy and dry on the palette.


Vegan Chocolate Cake with Clementine and Cranberries
Makes 6 - 8 individual cakes or 1 x 8 inch round cake
A2K Ingredients
30g cocoa powder
180g plain flour
½ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
½ teaspoon salt
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
165g brown sugar
200ml strong brewed coffee, cooled
100ml vegetable oil
3 - 4 clementines, peeled and separated

Handful of fresh or dried cranberries
2 teaspoons white wine vinegar
A2K Method

Heat the oven to Gas Mark 5. Oil an 8 inch round baking tin.
In a large bowl, sift the flour, cocoa, soda, salt and cinnamon. Stir in the sugar. In a small bowl, combine the coffee with the oil and whisk. Then beat the liquid into the dry ingredients, then quickly stir in the vinegar.
Pour the batter into the prepared pan and top with clementines and cranberries.  Bake for 30 – 35 minutes for larger cake or 25 minutes for smaller versions, or until a toothpick in the centre of the cake comes out clean.

8 comments:

  1. Mmmmm, looks delicious. Will have to think what to top Graham's with :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'd make a large one for him, rather than individual ones in this case. You can just keep it plain and simple, its still good.

      Delete
  2. I love citrus and cranberry - so festive and fruity :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks lovely Shaheen - I like the sound of clementines and cranberries on top!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow Shaheen, you've given us some real treats on the blog the last few days. I think I'm going to bake poppy seed cakes as I've just today bought some mini loaf tins in a sale and I'm quite excited to try that out.
    Sally x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sally, work is a little slow picking up in the NY, so taking advantage of being back homne a little earlier and sharing some recipes from last year.

      I have to warn you the poppyseed cakes are hit and miss, I don't know why. I made some this morning for the cafe, orange flavoured this time and they began to rise and then collasped, still tasted good though - just did't look so good. Hope they work out well for you and just to let you know you can half the quantity too - I'd advise it.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You