Sunday, 13 January 2013

Vegan Plum and Hibiscus Cakes

I had a bit of a lazy day today, even the blue skies that promised not to shed a drop of rain could entice me out.  My Sunday morning was spent in the warmth of my bed: re-energising for the coming week.  When I did finally get up, I spent most of it in front of the computer, not surfing the cyber world for pleasure but catching up with e mails, invoices and such things.  Also , thanks for those of you who told me about Chrome Google, its been downloaded and has made uploading photographs so much easier, especially as blogger is still playing up.  I have to admit, regardless of this technical hitch, I have not got my blogging mojo back proper yet. I am finding that the words are not coming easy as they used too.  I am not too sure what to write about too.  Of course I know some of you are all interested in what I have been cooking, but I know too that some of you are also genuinely interested in what is going on my life too and my work situation too, but things are not on the up there and are bringing me down a little, so I don't really want to focus on that so much yet.   So I guess at this point, I better quickly share another vegan cake recipe.

Over Christmas I used the edible hibiscus flowers for my non-alcoholic drinks served in fluted wine glasses.  I had some left over, which I decided to incorporate into these cakes which were baked these in oval pie tins.  I normally make these cakes with rhubarb, and I do have some home-grown chopped and ready to go stashed in the freezer, but plums it was to be when I was given some by my mother who picked up too many to eat.   
The juices from the plum oozes a little into the batter and the hibiscus flower flavour is subtle in the background.  The texture of this cake is that it is soft on the inside and the top is shortbread like. I doused it with a little icing sugar to appeal to the eyes too. 
Plum and Hibiscus Flower Cakes
Serves 6 maybe 8
Ingredients
280g plain flour
2 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon bicarbonate soda
½ teaspoon salt
3 tablespoons ground flaxseeds
90g caster sugar
125ml vegetable oil
130ml orange juice
4 plums, sliced
1 teaspoon edible dried hibiscus flowers, re-hydrated and chopped
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 4.
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and salt. Stir in the flaxseeds, sugar, oil, juice, plums and chopped hibiscus. Stir gently until just mixed. The mixture will seem dry, but don't worry, it will moisten with the plums. Spoon into a lined individual baking tins and bake for 25 -30 minutes. Test with a skewer to see if done.


4 comments:

  1. they look amazing. You are so creative with your ingredients. And i love how you even make cakes healthy by adding in the flaxseeds. Hope the personal life perks up, sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry to hear things aren't going so well on the work front. Your cakes sound wonderful though. Hope things improve for you and you have a successful and fun 2013.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Choclette. I am optimistic this year x

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen