Wednesday, 5 January 2011

Cranberry Couscous

This dish came about in an attempt to use some chopped vegetables in my fridge: a wedge of squash and a large floret of broccoli. These were left over from the Uchiki Kuri Squash and Broccoli pie.

I was not sure how D would find this couscous salad. His reservations towards couscous have been well documented on this blog. But he was pleasantly surprised at his liking for this vibrant salad that can only be described as both sweet and savoury. The sweetness came from the cranberries, and squash and the savoury from the broccoli and salty vegetable stock.
Savoury Cranberry Couscous salad
Serves 3 - 4
Ingredients
A wedge of pumpkin or butternut squash
100g - 150g broccoli stalks, chopped down into bite size pieces
400ml vegetable stock
200g couscous
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 medium onion, finely sliced
50g dried cranberries
Salt to taste
Method
Chop the pumpkin or butternut squash wedge into bite size pieces. Drizzle with a little oil and bake in oven until tender. Remove and set aside.
Steam the broccoli stalks until tender, then set aside
In a bowl add the couscous and to with 400ml vegetable stock. Cover and set aside
Heat the oil, add the onion and cook until soft and translucent. Add the cranberries and add 2 tablespoons of cold water and cook for a couple of minutes. Turn off heat.
Combine all the ingredients into a bowl and season generously with salt to taste. Serve warm or cold.

16 comments:

  1. wow...awesome salad,very healthy and comforting ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I bet this is so good! I love couscous. Did the cranberries have any salt on them? If so I bet that they added an amazing dimension to this couscous salad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks YUMMY! I love Couscous! I have a salad recipe you might like here: http://revealingmeagain.blogspot.com/2010/08/couscous-salad.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. It looks delicious!...and I have some couscous and broccoli and carrots so I'm going to have to try it...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yum! What a good combo! Cranberries go so well with grains! I always love the recipes you come up with :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have to try this, looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a box of couscous and I have never tried it before. I think I'll also make a salad, maybe a bit different because I have different ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a beautiful salad. I love the cranberry.

    ReplyDelete
  9. this couscous looks so lovely..such pretty colors too. thanks for sharing this and have a great day.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Soumya.
    Certainly was healthy ...


    Thanks Roxan.
    I had to add the salt to the cranberries. It certainly did enhance the salad.


    Thanks alissa.
    I will check it out.


    Thanks affectioknit.



    Thanks Carissa.
    :)


    Thanks Laura.



    Thank you LeLa.
    Couscous is very bland and can be a boring grain. You need to add lots of flavours to it to make it appealing to you. Experiment and enjoy.


    Thanks briarrose.


    Thank you so much blackbookkitchendiaries.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I saw your guest post on The Littlest Polly - everything here looks absolutely delicious! Thank you so much for these ideas!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Looks yummy and healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much for comng by calistalee. It is most appreciated.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I let you know when I've tried a couscous salad. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen