Saturday, 22 January 2011

Curried Tofu with Turmeric rice

This dish is unusual for me, as I don’t normally use tofu in ‘South Asian style curry' based dishes. I am always happy to use fresh vegetables, but I had picked up this tofu to compliment the dried Chinese mushrooms - a broth of sort had come to mind, however it had not been used and it was fast reaching its use by date. As Tofu is not a particularly affordable ingredient to purchase, I did not wish to waste it. I have a wish that one-day I’d like to have a go at making my own, but until that day (should it arrive) I’m relatively happy with this brand.
This is a mild spiced curry with absolutely no chilli heat at all. The flavours were fine, but I personally don’t think the tofu worked well here, as it was too soft and did not absorb the flavours. But I understand its addition here as it was designed with our vegan friends in mind. If you not vegan, I think ‘paneer’ a Indian tofu like cheese would work well, it has more texture and bite, even mock 'chicken' style pieces would work which would have been Ds preference.
Turmeric rice
Serve 2 – 4 with accompaniments
200g Basmati rice
1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 teaspoon turmeric powder
400ml water
½ teaspoon salt
Rinse and rain the rice. Heat he oil in a saucepan with a tight-fitting lid. Add the rice and turmeric and stir on high heat for a minute or two. Add the water and salt, bring to the boil, then turn down to a gentle simmer. Cover with a tight fitting lid and cook covered for 15 minutes, or until the water is absorbed. Fluff the rice with a fork, and let sit until ready to serve.
Curried Tofu
Serves 2 - 4 with accompaniments
2 teaspoons vegetable oil
1 large onion, peeled and finely sliced
4 cloves garlic, crushed
1 ½ tablespoon ginger root, grated
1 tablespoon Curry powder
1 tablespoon Garam masala
Salt to taste
Packet of firm tofu, drained and cut into ½ inch cubes or triangles
1 x tin tomatoes, chopped or blitzed in food processor
In a large saucepan with a lid, cook the onions in the oil on medium heat until softened. Add the garlic, ginger, curry powder, garam masala, salt and tofu. Cover and cook on medium-low heat, stirring frequently. Add the tomatoes, and simmer for 15 minutes for the flavor to develop. Occasionally stir gently so not to break the tofu. Serve with rice. Adapted from Moosewood Collective Simple Suppers.


  1. Your food always looks so very tempting, even tofu, which is not on the top of my list of fave foods.

  2. Thank you Kath.
    Tofu is not on my fave list either, but I have one reciep that I do really like and recommend: Mustardy baked tofu nuggets

  3. That looks really moreish Mangocheeks, but then your food always does.

    You should check to see if you have a chinese supermarket near you. You can but your tofu so much cheaper there. Our supermarket is called Matthews (i think there is a big one in Glasgow too). Today I was buying silken tofu. They had a buy three for the price of two on all tofu and I got 3 blocks for £1.60. I also got a couple of lovely bowls and a cloth for virtually nothing.

  4. I almost always add a little turmeric to my rice. Your plate looks awesome. :)

  5. I love tofu, but I always associate it with Chinese cookery. Your suggestion of paneer (which I also love) sounds a better option. However you don't know until you've tried something.

    For me the creamy blandness of tofu or paneer are the perfect foil for the aromatic sauces.

    I'm trying to eat less meat so I think I'll be back from time to time to check out some of your interesting recipes.

  6. I never tried making rice with turmeric. I should try it out! I love curry flavor of tofu.

  7. this is my first time seeing tofu cook in curry, come to think of it, the combination sounds really delicious! because tofu by itself can be really bland and hot spicy curry can help to hype it up. good job!

  8. Thank you Jacqueline.
    I really liked the rice, so will be making it again.

    Thanks re: advice checking out Chinese supermarket for firm tofu. There is one in Glasgow called 'See Woo' that is excellent, but I have never thought of picking tofu there, I will for sure now - I am sure it will be a fraction of price too. I'm Tempted to go and check out some noodle bowls now :)

    Thanks HayMarket8.
    I've only just discovered turmeric in rice - excellent. I'll be makign it again :)

    Thanks so much just Gai.
    It only recently that I've begun to appreciate tofu, but still have a long way to go in loving it. I don't eat much Chinese or Oriental based cuisine, so part of my 2011 to do's are to attemtp to east more cuisine from this part of the world.

    Thanks Victor.
    You must, it was really good.

    Thanks Jean.
    I have to admit the tofu in this case did not absorb much flaovur, perhaps it needed to be marinated first in spices, but other than that it was a nice change, albeit a bit mild for me :)

    Thank you Soumya.
    The dishes certainly have some colour.

  9. now that sounds {and looks} delish! anything with fresh ginger gets my vote:
    I stopped using the cauldron tofu when they changed the recipe/size:
    we find it too spongy: {wrote to complain and they suggested putting a weight on it overnight: yeah we want to do that?!}
    they stopped making the smoked tofu, which had a delicious flavour for kebabs and burgers:
    find marinading the plain does the trick: soy sauce, spices, herbage:

  10. Thank you chocolategirl.
    Sadly, I may have to follow suit as this was spongy. I agree in the past the brand was much firmer. Jacqueline suggested checking out the Chinese Supermarkets. I will be doing that. I've nver had smoked tofu. Something to try. Thanks so much for the suggestions.

  11. Oh, God! This looks really, really good! I'm hungry already, hehe.

    Hope you're having a nice day!


  12. Looks so delicious & easy! Adding this to my menu for the week.

  13. Thank you Erica.
    Nice to make your acquaintance too :)


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You