Thursday, 20 January 2011

Butternut Squash Tortilla wraps

Here is a light snack for when you don't want something too heavy to eat. Light does not mean lack of flavour.

These tortilla wraps were sweet from both the butternut squash and sweet corn, but not overly sweet as they were toned down by the optional creamy blue cheese.
Butternut squash and sweet corn tortilla wraps
Makes 6 - 8
Ingredients4 tablespoons olive oil (plus more for coating)
400g butternut squash, peeled and cut into 1 cm dice
2 garlic clove, crushed
165g from the cob, frozen or tinned sweet corn, well drained
1 small onion, minced
Optional: 100g Gorgonzola or other blue cheese
1 teaspoon fresh (lemon) thyme
6 – 8 tortilla wraps
Salt and pepper to taste
MethodHeat the olive oil in a large frying pan over a moderate heat, add the onion and cool for 8 – 10 minutes until soft, then add in squash and sweet corn and cook further until just tender when pierced with a knife. Remove to a bowl, add the thyme and optional cheese and lightly mash with a fork. Season to taste and leave to cool.
Place the tortillas on a flat surface, fill the centre of each with the mixture, then fold each tortilla in half over the filling to make a semi circle.
Brush the tops lightly with olive oil. Place on a preheated hot grill pan and grill for about 2 – 3 minutes until golden brown. Brush with olive oil, turn over and grill on the other side OR if you have one, make these tortilla wraps in your Panini press for about 5 minutes. Serve immediately. 


  1. Those look yummy and easily veganized...Thanks!

  2. These tortillas are enticing, Mango. I love the combination of winter squash and gorgonzola. And your grill marks are perfect!

  3. Thank you affectioknit.

    Thanks Barbara.
    I cheated a bit. I actually used my panini press.

  4. I must try vegan tortilla wraps soon!

  5. Oooh, these look delicious. Did you grow the squash? I wish I'd been clever enough to plant squashes last year...this year though.

  6. Butternut squash tortilla wraps! They look soooo good! Definitely something I have to try!

  7. wow...very healthy and delicious tortilla wraps...yum yum yum!

  8. All that I'm Eating.
    Thank you.
    I wish I had, but other than the small variety like golden apple squash, I have not been able to grow larger varieties. Also the climate in Scotland is not so kind and on budding many of my squashes and pumpkins have failed :(

    Thank you Charlie.

    Thank you Soumya.
    Yes, I agree they were healthy, or felt it somewhat.

  9. Hi Mangocheeks; Do you make your own tortillas? You may have seen my post on this subject recently, and seen that I was not 100% successful. I need some advice: if you live in England, what brand/type of cornmeal would you use to make your own tortillas, and where would you buy it?

  10. These look really good. I doubt I'll add the blue cheese but the rest look great and I have happen to have several squash that I need to do something with.

  11. I'm always on the lookout for vegetarian dishes...and I've been particularly looking for recipes that use winter squash and pumpkin...this sounds and looks absolutely yummy!

  12. Yummy snack. The squash and corn is a neat combination. I will have to try this out.

  13. Sounds amazing! Will definitely try this.

  14. These look delicious. I might steal the recipe and use some feta that's lingering in the fridge. I find placing something heavy on top of the panini when it's on the grill pan helps melt the cheese and give the wraps those sought-after grill marks (in the absence of a panini press, which is now on my wish list!).

  15. Oooh, these look delicious! I love the combination of squash, blue cheese & thyme (it's my favourite homemade pizza topping). And it's a feast for the eyes as well as the tum, with such lovely colours on a dull january day!

  16. Oh I would have to see these when it's lunch time! I make something similar with mashed butternut squash mixed with a little cream cheese and then use in enchiladas.

  17. Hi Mark.
    Would love to say Yes, but no not yet. I had seena tortilla press once in B'ham at a bargain price and why I so regret not puchasing it now. So sorry cannot advise or shed any light. If you do get answers to your questions of brand, i'd love to know to for future reference.

    Thank you Becky.
    Hope you enjoy. Its really a straight forward recipe.

    Dear Theanne.
    Thank you so much for becoming a follower. I am always humbled and delighted. So pleased to read that you like this recipe. I have a number on my blog that use winter squash and pumpkin, some may be to your taste, others maybe not. Kindest of wishes

    Thank you so much Cathy ak floweringmama.

    Thanks briarrose.
    I do hope you enjoy the combo.

    Thank you Sarah.
    Please please do, its really a straightforward recipe, esp. if you get read made tortillas.

  18. Thank you Laura Nickoll.
    Hey recipes here are to share, so you are not stealing at all. Also I was inspired by a cheffy cookbook recipe, so its not all mine :)
    I think replacing the blue cheese with feta is great, I wish I had thought of that as feta is my preference over blue cheese.

    Also Thank you so much for sharing you tip. Really appreciated. I have an old fashioned iron that I use now and again as a tofu press to do a similar thing.

    Good luck on acquiring a panini press - I am sure the little fairy is reading your wish list.

    Hello littleblackfox.
    Ooh I had not thought about it as a pizza topping, now its a must try should I ever make pizza base from scratch! So true about the lifting colours for a dull january day!

    Thank you Nicisme.
    Liking the idea of cream cheese too.

  19. Super recipe, Mangocheeks. Made essentially as directed but using Laura's suggestion of using feta cheese. This is such a versatile recipe - I think I might next try a potato/pea filling with with a bit of cilantro. Sadly, no panini press in this house either, so I made do with a regular frying pan. Thank you again.

  20. Thank You Judith.
    I think if i was to make it again, I too would add feta as the blue cheese was a tad strong for me. I like your idea of potato and pea filling with coriander, I too may give that a go.

    PS You better put a panini press on your wish list - you never know, an angel out there may be reading :0)


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You