Monday, 24 January 2011

Mincemeat and apple crumble tart

These Mincemeat and apple crumble tarts were a very nice. Enjoyment elevated further with the accompaniment of vanilla ice-cream.
These tarts were going to be my first submission towards a blogger food event called We Should Cocoa. The idea is to make something with chocolate each month. This months host challenged readers to create something using leftovers or surplus stock. I have plenty of things in my fridge to use, including nearly empty jars of chutneys and jams, frozen berry fruit like raspberries and foraged blackberries it the freezer, but it was a jar of mincemeat in the cupboard that was calling out to be used.

I thought to myself if I did not make use of this opportunity now, perhaps I never would and it would find its way to the bird table in the form of fat balls or worse in the bin, so I decided to make a 'Mincemeat and chocolate tart'.
But then my eyes fell on my fruit bowl that nestled some Bramley apples, that I had picked early in the week to make 'Apple and blackberry crumble'. So instead of Mincemeat tart, this tart quickly evolved to 'Mincemeat and apple crumble tart'. When I was about to submit it to the food event, I realised I missed out on including the vital ingredient - Chocolate, duh. Oh well, maybe next month.
For this recipe I used 6 tartlet tins and cut the pastry into the shape of an apple using a large apple cookie cutter. You could also make one large one in a 10 inch tart tin.
Mincemeat and apple crumble tart
Serves 6
Ingredients
For the rich shortcrust pastry
170g plain flour
a pinch of slat
100g butter
1 egg yolk
very cold water, to mix
For the filling
400g Jar of ready made vegetarian mincemeat
225g Bramley apples, peeled, cores removed, flesh sliced
1 lemon, juice only
For the topping
100g plain flour
50g butter
50g granulated sugar
Method
Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
Grease a 22cm/9in loose-bottomed cake tin with the vegetable oil.
Sift the flour with the salt into a large bowl. Rub in the butter until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Mix the egg yolk with 2 tablespoons water and add to the mixture. Mix to a firm dough, first with a round-bladed knife, then with one hand. It may be necessary to add more water, but the pastry should not be too damp. Chill, wrapped for 30 minutes before using.
Roll out the pastry until it is 2.5cm/1in bigger in diameter than the cake tin.
Line the cake tin with the pastry and trim off any excess. Prick the base of the pastry with a fork, then chill the pastry case in the fridge for 30 minutes.
Line the pastry case with greaseproof paper and fill it with dried beans or rice. Bake in the oven for 10-15 minutes, then remove from the oven, remove the beans and greaseproof paper and set the pastry case aside to cool slightly.
Spoon the mincemeat into the pastry case and spread evenly over the base.
Dip the apple slices into the lemon juice and arrange them on top of the mincemeat layer.
For the topping, in a bowl, mix together the flour and the butter rub the mixture together using your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs. Then mix in the sugar.
Sprinkle the crumble topping evenly over the apples and mincemeat. Bake in the oven for 20 – 30 minutes, or until the crumble is crisp and golden-brown. Mincemeat crumble tart recipe adapted from here.

23 comments:

  1. Lovely presentation,
    A delightful pudding ♥

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great. I have a recipe using apples and mincemeat too if you have any left over and want one. It is called mincemeat and apple round and can be eaten hot as a dessert or cold in slices as an accompianment to a cup of coffee.

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  3. These look delicious, I think I'll bake something sweet soon...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that they are shaped like apples...adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your tarts are so creatively shaped. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Ana Powell ♥


    Thank you Jane of marigold jam.
    I don't have any mincemeat left, but I would still appreciate your recipe and perhaps make it come this Christmas, as it sounds lovely x
    I would have been more than happy to shared one of these tarts with you too :)


    Thanks Lela.
    Happy Baking.


    Thanks Katrina.
    I am always looking for excuses to use my cookie cutters :)


    Thanks Spoonfuls of love, added to every recipe.


    Thank you Zoe.
    I'm always looking for reasons to use my cookie cutters, these one happened to be apple shaped :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Clever idea to use a cookie cutter for the base!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a great recipe! They look so cute! You continue to inspire in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you just Gai.


    Thank Jenn.
    Lovely to hear from you.
    Happy New Year to You and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I absolutely adore the shape of them, they sound right up my street, apple and mincemeat, lovely. Shame about not being able to enter them, but as you say, there is still next month.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Aw they are beautiful - they look so good with the apple shaped case.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Another lovely recipe to try
    Thank You
    Cate

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Kath.
    I could have cheated by grating some chocolate on top, but I just couldn't do it :( So maybe next time it will be.


    Thank you Louise.
    I'm quite pleased with them.


    Aw Thank Cate.

    ReplyDelete
  14. ps: http://ricettev.blogspot.com/2011/01/seitan-home-mede.html

    -> Hallo Mangocheeks!
    Watch out! I used wholemeal flour and manitoba (wheat flour): they both contain gluten!
    Seitan IS gluten :)
    I'm sorry I guess that you translated bad :)

    Hope to see you again on my blog!
    Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  15. Lovely recipe, Im sure that with apples it really tasted nice :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thank you Medeja.
    The Bramley apples just melted...sublime.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh what a shame - would love to have you entering something in We Should Cocoa. Thanks for mentioning it. Your crumble tarts sound delicious despite their lack of chocolate ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Choclette.
    It really was : (
    but there is always a next time :)

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You