Sunday, 30 January 2011

Squash and chickpea pie

This pie was inspired by one of my favourite recipes: Roasted butternut squash with spiced chickpeas. I thought to myself wouldn't it be delicious to encase all these flavours in a pastry pie and it worked splendidly.

It may not be as pretty as the Uchiki Kuri squash pie, but let me tell you this is one comforting pie. Today, I would go as far as saying, its better than a dessert. Why?
Well, despite all the spices, the roasted butternut squash filling is both rich and sweet in flavour and it melted in your mouth. I strongly recommend serving this pie with a contrasting flavour such as broccoli, or salad greens dressed in citrus.
If you have any of this spiced filling left over, its fantastic spread over a tortilla wraps, topped with some peppery rocket and rolled. In fact, I'll be taking some into work tomorrow for lunch.
Butternut squash and chickpea Pie
Serves 4 - 6
1 medium butternut squash , weighing just over 1kg
2 tablespoons of olive oil
6 spring onions, sliced diagonally including the green parts
2 - 3 fresh red chillies, sliced
1 tablespoon of cumin, lightly toasted
1 x 400g tinned can of cooked chickpeas, drained and rinsed
Salt to taste
2 tablespoons of fresh coriander, minced
Peel the squash, slice in half and scoop out the seeds. Chop the flesh into bite sized pieces. Put them into and large oven proof dish and toss them in 2 tablespoons of oil. Roast at gas mark 5 for about 15 -20 minutes or until tender. Tip half of the butternut squash into a large bowl and mash. Then add in the remaining squash pieces, chickpeas, cumin, salt, coriander and give it a good stir to combine. Set aside and allow to cool.
Now make the hot water crust pastry.
For the hot water crust pastry
To line deep 7 inch spring form round cake tin
350g plain flour
1 teaspoon baking powder (optional)
Pinch of salt
½ - 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
100g solid vegetable fat or shortening, chopped (I use Trex)
100ml water
Olive oil to glaze
Mix together the dry ingredients.
Melt the vegetable fat in the water and heat until about to boil. Add the liquid to the flour, baking powder if using, salt and chilli flakes and stir with a wooden spoon until a dough is formed. Now you have to work very quickly, as the dough will get cold and be tough to work with. Keep some of the dough back for the lid, then roll out the rest quickly and line the tin, pressing down so that it is snug to the tin and in its grooves. Then fill the tin with the cooled filling. Press gently down with a spoon. Cut of excess dough around the tin and roll out again so that it fits the top of the pie filling as a lid. It will overlap, just cut off the excess with a knife to make it look presentable. Place the lid over the filling, then gently press or pinch into the side of the pie so it seals or with a fork. Brush with oil and make a small steam hole in pie.
Bake in preheated oven Gas mark 6 for 45 to 1 hour till golden. Serve warm or cold.
Filling idea inspired by Denis Cotters Cafe Paradiso Seasons.


  1. That turned out superbly - love the pics

  2. Your crust looks amazing! I'm dying to try this recipe out.

  3. I've been trying to think of ways to use butternut squash and I like the sound (and look) of this pie!

  4. What a beauty! The pastry looks very interesting with the chilli flakes.
    Can you use butter instead of shortening? Or oil?

  5. That's a great recipe! I've been wanting to use chick peas in a pie for a while now, so I'd love to try this one out!

  6. This sounds lovely, exactly what is needed. I like the hot water crust very much. I must give that a go soon.

  7. Now there's a combination I wouldn't have considered. I'm not a great pie maker but I might just try the filling on its own with the butternut squash I've got lurking in my cupboard.

  8. GIRL...yummy AND healthy! You know I love it!!

  9. I just love butternut squash and chickpeas are awesome as well. This sounds delicious and I agree, a wonderful green salad with citrus would be perfect!

  10. Thank you Now Serving.

    Thanks Anna A.
    I totally recommend this hot water pie crust.

    Thanks Theanne.
    If you don't want to make the pie, the filling itself is really versatile!

    Thank you Alessandra.
    This hot water crust pastry is one of my favourite recipes! The chilli flakes can be subbed with a dried herb if you so wish.

    For this recipe, I don't think you could simply butter for the shortening. I'd recommend just making a different pastry crust all together.

    Thank you so much Maria.
    I hope you do give this recipe a go and enjoy it as much as we are :)

  11. Thanks Kath.
    Please do give the hot water crust a go, its fab. once you've mastered it.

    Thank you Gai.
    The butternut squash filling is really tasty. Its fab spread on thick crusty bread or as recommended in tortilla wraps. I hope you enjoy.

    Thanks Morgan!

    Thank you so much Juliana.

    So lovely to hear from you Angela aka Soap Mom's Kitchen.

  12. Now this is my kind of pie! Love your photos.

  13. I am in love with sweet potatoes and squash right now and use chickpeas in just about anything I can. :) I am definitely gonna give this recipe a go and will be back to peruse your site a little more. Best wishes and blessings, Tammy

  14. this looks so lovely... i cant wait to try that crust! sounds just yummy:)

  15. Thank you so much Kensho Studio.

    Thanks Hazel :)
    I managed to take these during the day, so turned out okay, those taken in the evening not so good:(

    Thank you so much for your lovely comment Tammy of T's Daily Treasures.

    Thank you blackboookkitchendiaries.
    I so recommend this hot water crust :)

  16. Mmmmm... few things taste worse when encased in pastry :)

  17. What a great & tasty pie!! Looks wonderfully!

    Sorry , That I haven't been here much but I had a good excuse. We just baught our 1st dream house! Yeah & I had to study for my Spanish examen too. I had 74%!!

    So, Now, you are up to speed!

  18. Thanks for your comment Kelly.

    Congratulations on passing your Spanish Sophie.
    No need to apologise, I too would be engrossed in my dream home. Enjoy the adventure!

  19. Jalepenos, garlic and kale... all the best foods. Genius! Thanks for stopping by Best to you! xo


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You