Tuesday, 18 January 2011

Welsh rarebit risotto

Alright, alright I promise this will be the last of my Welsh inspired recipes for the month, especially as this one confused the senses a little.

Although this Leek and cheese risotto was perfectly edible, D said when he closed his eyes he could taste 'Welsh Rarebit Toast', but when he opened his eyes he saw 'creamy cheesy rice'. It's unlike him to overly criticise, but he also added that it was overwhelmingly cheesy. I was absolutely surprised at this, as he loves his cheese. I did not think 100g cheese was that much, so I don’t know if I measured 200g by error instead of 100g. Also I’ve written before, risotto is not the easiest of dishes to photograph. This one is also monotone in colour and evening lighting does not do it any favours. D suggested I should have kept behind some softened leeks to top the risotto for colour balance and presentation. I learn for next time, but I do feel I have to keep reminding him this is a homely food blog.

Anyway, if you are encouraged to give this Welsh Rarebit risotto a go or any other leek recipe. May I share a very good tip with you in relation to cleaning grit out of leeks. I was reminded of it when fellow blogger Emily prompted me. Many of you will know that leeks are notorious for hiding soil in between its layers, well there is a nifty way of washing this out. Begin by making a vertical split about halfway down the centre of each one, then do this again, so you have four fantails. Then wash clean of grit by running them under cold water. I use this method all the time now when cooking with leeks.

For those of you who are interested in what brand of Worcester sauce I use, please follow this link. This one is suitable for vegetarians and vegans, but you can also use the traditional one that contains anchovies which is my husbands preference.
Welsh rarebit risotto
Serves 2
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 medium leeks, sliced
200g risotto rice
2 pints vegetable stock
60g - 100g cheddar cheese, grated
Worcester sauce to taste
Salt and pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a wide shallow pan and cook the leeks until softened. Stir in the rice until coated and sauté with the leeks until the rice is translucent. Then gradually add the stock. Stir until the rice is tender – this will take about 30 minutes. You may not need all the liquid.
A couple of minutes before the end of the cooking time, stir in the cheese and season with salt and pepper to taste and serve immediately. Pass the Worcester sauce around for those who wish to drizzle some over for extra flavour.


  1. Sounds good - perhaps a bit of paprika or a sprig or two of parsley might add to the pictorial appeal? If you served it with a green veg too this would make it more attractive. I will certainly give this a go as I have a leek in the fridge now so could make half the amount to try it out.


  2. I never thought of a preferred worcestershire sauce brand - I only came to it very late - never really having had it before I went veg

  3. What a lovely, simple risotto, love the addition of sauteed leeks.

  4. i love leeks and I am not sure if it is possible to have too much cheese! looks lovely!

  5. Now that does look amazing! I have loved all the Welsh inspired recipes, I'm lurking more than commenting at the moment as finishing up a thesis but that looks like a lovely treat for a cold winters day!

    Thank you, off to see which sause you use now.......

  6. This risotto sounds divine! And yes, I've tried that method for cleaning leeks and it works well.

  7. Sounds good as always! I made coconut basil orzo tonight :)

  8. Food is tricky to photograph, especially the more "bland" colors, but this still looks plenty good to me! ;)

  9. You are right...in UK because of weather we can't do much with our pics...rissotto looks tempting !

  10. i was wondering where i could find a welsh rabbit until i reread this...

    and for your awesomeness:

  11. That looks really lovely, despite D's comments, or rather because of them - cheesy sounds good. I made rarebit the other day and we really enjoyed it. I resolved to make it more often. I am really liking the welsh inspired recipes.

  12. Hey thanks for visiting my blog . I'm pleased to come across yours - you have some great things on it and I'm looking forward to trying some of these recipes out. I'm gonna get me one of those welsh cookie cutters too :)

  13. Thank you very much for the recipe, it looks very tasty!
    and thanks for the comment on my blog.

  14. Thanks Jane.
    Excellent advice. I think a sprig or two of parsley woudl have worked wonders to lift the dish for its fashion shot :)

    Yes, I do think it would have benefited from being served with a green veg too. If you do make it (I am saying this with a cheesy grin), please let me know your thoughts and moreso - if you liked it.

    Thanks Johanna.
    I've tried a couple of veggie versions and this brand is my preference.

    Thank you Emma.

    Hi thre Darlene of considerthelillies.
    So good to hear from you. Its been a little while since i've been over, so a visit is due from me to your blog too.
    I think it was more than it being too cheesey, I think it just looked and tasted odd to him :D

    Thank you so much Orkneyflowers.
    I understand and please don't feel that you have to comment often, I do understand. I'm not visiting fellow bloggers blogs as often as i'd like to either.

    Best of wishes with finishing up your thesis. You have to keep that writing enthusiasm going because sometimes its easy to get distracted.
    Kindest of wishes as always.

    Thank you so much Eggy.
    Someone who can vouch for cleanign a leek that way - great :)

    Thanks Carissa.
    Coconut basil orzo sounds truly lovely :)

  15. Thanks June.

    Thanks Jagruti.
    So your having the same problem too with natural lighting.

    Thanks EcoGrrl.
    After reading this comment, I remembered your comment on the 'suet' too. Made me chuckle.

    Thanks Kath
    Rarebit is an excellent snack _ I should eat it more often too, but I don't. D does though and makes up for the both of us.
    So delighted to read that you liked the welsh inspired recipes. Maybe when St Davids Day arrives, I'll do more. Still have some laverbread in the cupboard.

    Thank you so, so much Siân.
    You must treat yourself to a Welsh cookie cutters :)

    Thank you fer.

  16. What a great idea! My grandmother used to make Welsh rarebit for us.. so good! I have to try this risotto soon.. thanks for the inspiration! Perfect for a snowy day - like today! :)


  17. You are so wlecome Niki.
    Please let me know if you make it and how you found it, as this recipe was a bit of a miss in our home.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You