Wednesday, 14 January 2009

You’re knitting what? A tea cosy!

I promise I won’t make a habit of this, but it is kitchen related, so I think I can justify blogging about it.

During my childhood, my mother tried to domesticate me in the art and skills of cooking, baking, house cleaning, sewing and even knitting. The only thing I had ever knitted then was something that should have been a scarf, but it was never completed because I never had the patience to master the technique of casting off a knitted item. But things have changed now. I have seen some wonderful creations that have inspired me to pursue this art form. I want to create original garments and accessories for myself and close friends.

Therefore, I have decided to refresh those undeveloped knitting skills. It will also be something different for me to do on these dark evenings or rainy weekends. So I have enrolled on a two week knitting class where we, the students will knit a tea cosy. Yes a tea cosy! And you know what’s crazy? I do not even own a teapot, let alone drink tea. But this isn’t about the final knitted product which I am sure will be delightful to the eye, it’s about the basic skills and techniques to get me started.

Am I turning into my beloved nanny (maternal grandmother)? Of course not, apparently knitting has become a cool hobby – a lot of the A list celebrities are doing it. I have never been a follower of fashion. I am only doing this because I’ve seen this beautiful multi-coloured wool at a reputable store in the city centre that I want to purchase and transform into a tank top. Then I saw these pattern books for fingerless mitts, a woolly hat… Oh the things I could create once I have got the basics mastered. As you can probably tell, I am very much looking forward to this.

Here what I was given: the knitting instructions, wool (in grey/blue - not a colour I would have chosen) and needles made from sustainable harvested domestic birch hardwood.

Okay the next time I blog about this tea cosy will be only to show you what the final product looks like. Will it be as pretty as the one above? We shall have to wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You