Saturday, 3 January 2009

What's in a name?


Why allotment 2 kitchen? It had to be true and complimentary to my two passions and it had to be a catching name – I did consider from fork to fork, veg table, plot to plate, welly to belly, and even kitchen garden, but settled on Allotment 2 Kitchen.

As a vegetarian, I like to cook my own vegetable based dishes from my evergrowing book collection, rather than buy supermarket brands. These often disappoint. Also, as anyone fortunate enough to have experienced home grown produce, the taste is far superior. I don't mean to pontificate, but this is simply a fact. I encourage you all to make the comparison for yourself.

So I now grow organically at my allotment, and take the vegetables home to my tiny kitchen to make a vegetable meal. And the 2? The 2 is him and me.

I have had my allotment plot for 2 years. I am now learning to cook with the seasons. This is not always easy as it takes discipline and planning. For instance, this year I found myself with an abundance of courgettes. The solution to this problem came with the purchase of
What will I do with all those courgettes: chocolate and courgette cake, courgette hummus, and even zucchini muffins!

Whilst it is undeniably fun, every aspect of keeping an allotment takes discipline and much hard work. On cold winters days it is easy to neglect essential upkeep. I confess, I haven't managed half the winter digging I had hoped. But tomorrow is another day...

No comments:

Post a Comment

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You