Sunday, 15 November 2015

Sweet Black Sesame Seed Butter

Halloween theatrical feasts have come and gone and so has Friday the 13th, but I share with you something dark, dramatic and bold - Spreadable Black Butter.  Please don't be judgemental and deceived by its menacing appearance, it is nutty and subtly sweet.  Give it a chance and it may win you over.  

I've had a jar of these black tear-drop shaped seeds in my kitchen cupboards for a couple of years.  I've reached for the jar a few times, but its mostly been used as a garnish than an ingredient in its own right.  So recently when a Korean friend was telling me about the new rage in the West for (Kimchi and) Black Sesame Tahini being sweetened a little either with honey or maple syrup and then used as a spread, well I just had to give it a try.  
I made it.  I tried it.  I spread on a toasted bagel and liked it, but the man in the house wasn't that keen on it.  So,  the sweet black sesame butter is pretty much all for me. 

The only other time I've actually had black sesame seed paste was in a Japanese mochi rice cakes.  And I liked that too, but again the man didn't, I guess black sesame seed paste is an acquired taste.  I am sharing this with Kimmy at Healthy Vegan Fridays #74. 


The recipe needs a little perfecting, but in a nutshell it has 100g toasted black sesame seeds, blended in my high speed Optimum 9400 Froothie Blender.  Then finished off with a couple of tablespoons of neutral flavoured oil and a tablespoon of agave syrup.   Its good for week or two if you seal it in a jam jar and keep it refrigerated. 
Disclaimer: This post contains affiliated links with Froothie UK. 

Other recommended Black Tahini recipes on blogosphere
Black Sesame Paste
DIY Black Tahini

16 comments:

  1. I love sesame seeds. What a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I quite like it, but I appreciate its an acquired taste - think you would get on okay with it, ..

      Delete
  2. wow that looks impressive - I should try making my own tahini in my blender sometime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, so many recipes are simple - but you only know when someone tells you - I am hoping to make some Kimchi soon - I like the stuff, but again the husband - not so much

      Delete
  3. I love black sesame fillings in dessert dim sum dumplings, and I love black sesame ice cream so I bet I'd enjoy this. And it looks rather glorious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kavey.
      I love that it is so versatile too.

      Delete
  4. I love how it looks and how you've presented it! One to add to my list to try :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jasmine. Its quite versatile. i've actually made some flapjacks with it over the w/e, I will showcase later this week,

      Delete
  5. This would be perfect for any pirate themed party! Looks so delicious!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Elizabeth, I've made some flapjacks with them recently - yummy.

      Delete
  6. How amazing, love the dramatic black.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Janice.
      It tasted pretty good too.

      Delete
  7. Yum! I actually have black tahini already but I was only thinking savoury with it. Thanks for the tip. :-)

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You