Sunday, 8 November 2015

Maftoul with Roasted Harissa Rainbow Carrots

I've had a proper lazy weekend and most of all I have had a long sleep in, no dreading the alarm going off and waking up to go into work in the dark and come back home in the dark.

The weekend has also allowed me to d some slow cooking and make the most of the little light there was outside for photographs, but the reality is its been a dark weekend with lingering dark clouds, drippy rain and blustery winds.  Today's hearty  lunch was Lemon-Coriander Maftoul with Roasted Harissa Rainbow Carrots.  
I  picked up two bunches of rainbow carrots from a local greengrocers. 
I wanted to make more of a feast of them, than just chop, grate or spiralize them for a coleslaw, so I roasted them whole in a harissa sauce and served it with Zaytoun Palestenian Maftoul.  Maftoul is made from sun-dried bulgar wheat and hand rolled into tiny chewy balls.  The magic of maftoul is that it absorbs flavours wonderfully so I coated it in lemony coriander goodness. 


Roasted Harissa Rainbow Carrots
Serves 4 
Ingredients
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon coriander powder
Salt to taste
75ml olive oil
50ml agave syrup
1 tablespoon harissa paste
12 medium Rainbow Carrots, peeled and washed
Method
Whisk all the ingredients (except for the carrots) together in a wide baking tray, then put in the carrots and coat well.
Roast in the oven for 30 minutes or until a knife pieces through it easily.  
Adapted from Bon Appetit
For the Lemon Corainder Maftoul
Serves 4
Ingredients
Cook 250g Zaytoun maftoul according to packet instructions
1 x 400g tinned chickpeas, drained and simmered till warmed through.  Drain and set aside
Packet of fresh Coriander
Juice from 1/2 lemon
2 tablespoons olive oil
Method
Blitz all the ingredients to a sauce then stir into cooked maftoul, along with the chickpeas.  
Set aside until ready to serve.

15 comments:

  1. I agree, a very dull weekend, but hey brightly coloured food will always make us feel better. Lovely recipe :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. True Lorraine. Warm and Brightly coloured foods will always make us feel better.

      Delete
  2. Such a colourful looking dish. I wish I could get such lovely rainbow carrots. I've never heard of Maftoul before and I love learning about new foods and trying them too. Sounds absolutely delicious. Thanks for entering AlphaBakes.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you find some rainbow carrots some day, its the first time I've found them at the grocers, in the past I've grown them

      Delete
  3. Looks like a lovely recipe for the season, I'm so into rainbow carrots right now. Your weekend also sounds very nice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks VegHog, yes a nice lazy weekend, already looking forward to this one too

      Delete
  4. I was lucky enough to find rainbow carrots on the market last week, and I roasted in coconut oil, origin and garlic…mmmmm! We discovered maftoul last year, and enjoy it very much but have only ever coked it in stock - your recipe sounds lovely, so I think we'll try that too! I'm watching the carbs at the moment so my grainy/ricey intake is reduced, but once in a while I think won't hurt! Lxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sounds lovely Lynne. I've used coconut oil for a pastry recipe, but not yet done any roasting with it. Oh yes, I cooked the maftoul in stock here too, then doused it in coriander lemony goodness.

      Delete
  5. Hi Shaheen, Thanks for sharing this amazing recipe of Palestinian couscous with chickpeas and carrots with MLLA for november 2015.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much and thanks for hosting

      Delete
    2. Please come and see the roundup of MLLA.

      Delete
  6. I picked a bunch of rainbow carrots from my garden this week (I had totally forgotten they were rainbow carrots, I was expecting all orange, haha!). I want to do something special with them, and I'm thinking that roasting them like this will be perfect, so I can still see the colours after they have been cooked (normally carrots end up grated and "hidden" so my kids don't pick them out, haha!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Kyra, so agree do something special with them! And what a lovely bonus surprise to harvest rainbow carrots - Awesome. Your right most of the time when we cook with carots, they are hidden - best to showcase these in all their glory.

      Delete
  7. I haven't had a lazy weekend in ages, but it looks like I just may get one this weekend (woohoo!). Thanks so much for sharing this gorgeous looking recipe at Healthy Vegan Fridays - it's being featured this week!
    I'm pinning & sharing. Thanks and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Kim. I hop you have a super lazy weekend.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You