Wednesday, 4 November 2015

Black Radish Tart and Others Things In My Kitchen

Lat month I went on holiday to Marseille, South of France.  I would like to say I came back with loads of kitchen and edible goodies, but the fact is that I did not.  I picked up some sweets for the nephews and nieces and some little gifts for a handful of colleagues at work,; and for myself I brought home a Radis Noir d'Provence.
Yes, you read right a Black Radish from Provence!.  It was tremendous. 
  A garlic grater.  I picked up two, one for my colleague at work. 
Something completely new for me - Clearspring Noodle Broth. 
Apple and Thyme Jelly  - I've had this savoury jelly in the cupboard for a very very long time, and still don't know what to do with it, but its pretty to look at - the colour and the way the thyme is suspended in the jelly.



Korean Gochujang Sauce and Mama Sita's Achiote.  I've used Achiote seeds and more recently Achiote Paste recently for a Mexican Style dish, but it was nice to find some powder. 
I have to admit I picked up these Sweet'n'Sour Mango Chutney crisps mostly for the packaging, but I don't fall for gimmicks like this that often, so its unusual for me.  Looking forward to bursting opening the packet at the weekend.
I've been seeing Great Food products about quite a lot lately, and finally plucked for the Aromatic Moroccan Koftas.  I do often make my own veggie meatballs, but with working days bringing me home late and later these days, its nice to have something in the fridge to make a meal around. I will give you my verdict once we've tucked in, which will be really soon.
I really enjoyed the vegan Black Pudding and Sweet Potato Galette a couple of months back, so when I went to Cardiff I just had to get some more for my fridge in readiness for when I wanted something with a bit more bite and texture. 
More vegetarian/vegan Dandies marshmallows for the season.  They are a import and a little pricey, but I make them last. 
I picked up these four lunch tubs with knife and fork still in its sealed packaging for a bargain price of £1.99.  I am going to pack D his pasta salad in the pink one tomorrow.   
I love the box that encases The Sprouter.  I am hoping to get back into sprouting beans again.  I just need to get some sprouting legumes, beans and seeds - any suggestions welcome - including microgreens.
Oh and in case, you were wondering what happened the Black Radish - thinly sliced it looks like truffles - I made a Black Radish tart infused with fenugreek and sweet onion. I am linking this post with  Celia from Fig and Lime Cordial  who every month  hosts In My Kitchen.  

31 comments:

  1. I see those garlic graters at all the food shows, any good? I've yet to try veggie black pudding, must really track it down! Thanks...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've yet to try it out, as I do have a garlic crusher. Will let you know,
      the improved VPud recipe is much better than when I first had t when I lived in Scotland, its much more textual and spicier, but warm spices not knock your socks off - recomend it

      Delete
  2. I've never heard of black radishes before, but they look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer. I loved the look of it too.

      Delete
  3. Oh do wish I had all those in my kitchen. Love buying food when I visit other places and can't wait to hear how much you love your crisps! Delicious I bet.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Brenda, always always lovely to hear from you - my blogging is slowing down with longer working days and darker evenings. Hope all is good with you. I may crack open the crisps tonight or i will be cheesy crackers with a bottle of wine, so looking forward o my weekend,

      Delete
    2. I didn't like the crisp, something about the flavours :(

      Delete
  4. Always such fun to peek and see what you are up to! How's the taste of the black compared to regular white radish?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks e.
      I actually think the black radish was milder than the white Daikon variety, it wasn't as juicy either.

      Delete
  5. ooh! I'll have to try that Clearspring Noodle Broth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you Claire, its been a while. I know your taking time from bloggins, I'd follow you on Insta but I don't have Insta yet, not convinced by it for my purposes, but I do follow on twitter.

      Delete
  6. That black radish is so intriguing! I bet it tasted amazing. Loving the look of that apple and thyme jelly, although I'd likely have scoffed it by now with some pork :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was not that different from white radish - mooli - daikon, just less watery. I'm a veggie as you know, so the jelly is still on the shelf.

      Delete
  7. the black radish is intriguing - and looks quite glam in the tart. so many good things in your kitchen - I'd go for that crisp packet too and love to have the vpud in my kitchen. Sorry to hear work is keeping you away from the kitchen but am glad you have some good food to fall back on. I can imagine the apple and thyme jelly would pair well with a good cheese on a cheese board or in a cheese tart. I also think it might work well in a sweet cake - don't know how the thyme would go but I know other herbs like rosemary work well. Hope to hear what you do with it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you'd give me some inspiration re the Jelly, I have used thyme in a cake in the past and it was fine http://allotment2kitchen.blogspot.co.uk/2011/06/lemon-thyme-almond-tart.html
      But I am liking the idea of a cheese tart, so that is what I will do (unless of course I change my mind with cake).

      Delete
  8. Hi Shaheen! I've been away from blogging for a while but hope to get back into it again soon! Your black radish tart looks amazing! I've got one of those garlic grater dishes & I love it, I also use it for ginger, nutmeg and chocolate! I hope to submit something soon for your eat your greens too :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jasmine, Yes I noted your absence and you have been missed. Glad your back, my blogging is somewhat slow these days too so understand the lack of blogging. Good to hear that the grater works on other stuff too. Look forward to your green eat!

      Delete
  9. Lots of good looking stuff! The apple thyme jelly looks good, though I know with me I often buy these lovely flavour combination jams then never do anything with them. I also bought a sprouter a few years ago but haven't taken it down off the top cupboard shelf, must get on to that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Yes sounds like you are bit like me in the kitchen, buy good things with good intentions then forget about them - now you must use that tub of gochujang!

      Delete
  10. The black radish tart looks amazing. The app,e and thyme jelly also sounds nice, especially with a cheese board. My boys would have it gone very quickly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gretchen, that is very kind of you. Yes, the jelly will probably be used for a cheeseboard, but I am also liking Johanna's suggestion for using in perhaps a tart.

      Delete
  11. Black radish huh? I've never seen it so I'm glad I stopped by. Aussies can't bring any plant or vegetable based products home as souvenirs and Customs are very fussy about spices and seeds too. Oh, and honey. It's about protecting out bio-diversity and wildliife. I'll just have to live vicariously through you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Fiona.
      I am surprised Customs don't do it in the UK, but part of me is thankful.

      Delete
  12. Hi Shaheen! I'm curious about the black radish, the tart looks lovely. Nice sprouter, I would suggest a mix of beet, broccoli and radish micro greens, they are great for sandwiches and salads. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thanks Emily. The black radish is white on the inside and v similar to daikon aka mooli, just not as juicy. I like the idea of beet and broccoli sprouts, this may sound liek a naive question but do you use the same seeds you would for growing the plant, I am new to sprouting, so unsure - any advice appreciated. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shaheen, I would suggest getting specialty seeds because they aren't treated with growth promoters. Also don't soak the seeds for too long. Seeds naturally have bacteria and fungi in them and leaving them too long will in water will make them rot from the inside out. If you have any other questions feel free to ask! :)

      Delete
  14. Shaheen, the first thing I thought of for your apple & thyme jelly was melting a bit of it to use as a final glaze over roasted veggies (squash? carrots?) or even brushed on your koftas for a "BBQ" veggie meatball appetizer. (Or whisking it into a vinaigrette as the "sweet" component?) Whatever you come up with, it's sure to be delicious from the looks of the rest of your IMK treats! That black radish is getting everybody's attention -- mine, too -- your tart sounded amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much Kim, I love all your suggestions, a lot more than I had had, so fantastic and thank you. I am hoping to make a Quiche with it at first, then with the left overs will follow your ideas.

      Delete
  15. black radish? that sounds a bit weird. i hope it was delicious:) love the pretty grater with the bee. the jelly does look very pretty too with the herbs in it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sherry.

      Not really, the skin was black - but the inside was very white. It was good and tasted, well like radish.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You