Friday, 13 November 2015

Seitan 'Meat' Slices

So its Friday the 13th and I thought I would show food considered to be a little freaky by non-vegan and non-vegetarian - Seitan pronounced Satan.

I've been ravenous recently, wanting to get my gnashers into something of substance and rip and tear it.  Perhaps its the change of weather; or maybe i am just watching way too much of The Walking Dead series.  We started watching the series on DVD Halloween weekend and are now on series 4, so no spoilers please!  
Over the weekend, I made this mock 'meatloaf' with vital wheat gluten from Suma Wholefoods.  I was a little heavy handed with the fennel seeds.  We have had it various ways over the week including today, but the most enjoyable was when a slab of it was seared on both sides and served with horseradish mash, greens and home-made brown gravy.  The rest has been good for cold sandwich fillings, Yes we Brits do like our sandwiches.  The seitan slices were quite succulent and not at all dry like much of the packaged stuff.  
Now how to present something not overly attractive, but here it is - some carefully carved slices ready to be chomped, sorry already chomped. 



I will be making this again, but with different spices and will share the recipe then. 
I am sharing some of these slices with Kimmy at Healthy Vegan Fridays #73.  In the meantime, here is Seitan Faux Roast from the A2K archives.
  

6 comments:

  1. it's only very recently I've started making nice seitan. Before that the recipes I tried were a little too mooshy so I'd given up. There's an excellent vegan pepperoni made locally here in Melbourne with a lovely firm texture. Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I am still learning too, other than the chorizo which are always a hit, the seitan loafs I've made have been too firm, but this was really moist, so hope to make it again. I've made vegan Pepperoni once, on a friends recipe - it was excellent.

      Delete
  2. I think I would enjoy this in a sandwich - have never made seitan - must try it one day - are you going to post the recipe or is it an online one?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is rather good in a sarnie. I hope to post the recipe in a couple of weeks time, just needs a little tweaking

      Delete
  3. I've never managed to master the art of seitan, despite repeated tries - it always ends up being way too dense. Any tips?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joey I know what you mean, some of the seitan I have made in the past has been too dense and chewy, that I didn't like it much. This one is moist. I am still a novice, so can't offer advice, but I promise to share this recipe soon - just needs a little tweaking.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You