Wednesday, 18 November 2015

Beetroot Cauliflower Feta Salad and Pizza

I know everything is in the presentation and this plate of salad would have been elevated a little more with a little more tinkering in the name of food styling; and perhaps served on a bed of greens such as rocket or watercress would have done it, but had cauliflower - the veg du jour been presented by a celebrity chef, cookery writer or so called queen of the grain and greens I am sure it would have encouraged swoons and wow's,
But as it comes from a little known vegetarian food blogger it will be perceived more as the smashed brains of a zombie presented by someone watching way too many episodes of The Walking Dead; and perhaps best served around Halloween; and to an extent I would have to agree on first glance, but I assure you its all about the veg.  No humans, animals or zombies were hurt in the making of this Salad.  And it was bloody marvellous too. 
Image source AMC
The white cauliflower dyed beautifully and naturally by the beetroot and balsamic vinaigrette juices, with bite from thinly sliced red onions and punctured by chunks of feta cheese and a scattering of black sesame seeds.

Food styling is not really my thing, and I am always still learning. It really does tastes better than it looks too, sharpness, crunch.  And more than anything else, my husband liked it - Two of his favourite vegetables: beetroot and cauliflower.  They used to be two of my least favourite, I don't mind them so much now.  

 The Cauliflower Beetroot Salad was served with jacket potatoes, a change from grated cheese or Beans. 

We had a good bowlful left over, the following day, I made a pizza base, spread it with basil pesto, then layered it carefully with the cauliflowers slices, before scattering over the chopped beetroot and the feta.  I will make it again for certain.  If this recipe hasn't scared you away, you may also like my Roasted Cauliflower, Beetroot and Paneer Cheese Curry.  I am sharing this with Vegetable Palette challenge, the theme for November is white vegetables
Beetroot Cauliflower Salad
Serves 4
Ingredients 300g cooked beetroot with juices
1/2 cauliflower, sliced thinly or chopped small
2 tablespoons olive oil
2 - 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
1 small red onion, sliced thinly
Salt and pepper to taste
Mix all the ingredients above and allow to marinade overnight, stirring now and again for the seasoned balsamic beetroot juices. 
For serving and the topping
200g feta cheese, chopped into cubes
Optional: 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds for garnish
Enjoy within 3 days

For Beetroot Cauliflower Feta Pizza - follow base recipe here  
You could also do this with puff pastry.
Ready made basil pesto
Then spread the basil pesto on the base of the pizza, then layer the cauliflower.  Then using a slotted spoon lift the beetroot and red onions, shaking off excess liquid and scatter evenly over the base. Scatter over the feta cheese, season with pepper, black sesame seeds and bake for 20 - 25 minutes.


  1. the salad looks nice but the pizza sounds amazing! I loved your presentation of the beetroot tart lately - maybe you could present the salad with the beetroot arranged in slices or half slices like you did in the tart with a mound of cauliflower, a drizzle of dressing and some feta on top

    1. The pizza was awesome. I do hope to give it a go again and next time I am determined to get a picture of it. Agree with your suggestion and perhaps will do that next time round, but I think it will be pizza instead!

  2. Shaheen, I think you need to add more green to your colour palette! :)

    1. I agree Mark, just a shame I had no rocket growing in the garden or in the fridge, next time - I will be a bit more organised - trouble with living in the valleys, not always easy to pop out and pick up this and that.

  3. YUM!...I love beets and cauliflower...I'll just use vegan feta...

    ~Have a lovely day!

    1. Vegan feta - I still have to have a go at making my own - yes, would def. work.

  4. Replies
    1. Lisa and Rob, Your not far wrong - I think I am watching way too much The Walking Dead, - started watching it on Halloween weekend and now on series 5 already - so yes - fit for Halloween or any other Scary Fright Night - the dish was good though, you should try it.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You