Saturday, 28 November 2015

Butternut Squash, Aduki Bean and Kale Savoury Crumble

What's the weather like where you are?  Or should I not ask?!

It's not so nice here at all, we went into Cardiff this morning and driving there and back - well it felt like we were in a submarine with the rain coming down in buckets.  I am not feeling 100%, plus its been a good, but busy week at work, so I was actually glad to get back home when we did, as I was not in the mood for Christmas shopping and the hustle and bustle. 
I was glad that I didn't need to do any cooking either when we got in either.

I made this Savoury Crumble a couple of days back, yes I know two Savoury Crumbles in one month.  This one is very autumnal in appearance, though its quite wintry outside.  Gold and yellow from the butternut squash and sweetcorn, moss green from the kale and studded with clay brown aduki beans.  It was quite pretty to gaze at, but then I went and covered it with a blanket of wholemeal flour and cheddar cheese crumble topping. 
Once baked, a little burnt and crisp around the edges, it was a welcome lunch and just what I wanted to tuck into and give me that warm glow. I am sharing this with Tinned Tomatoes for Meat Free Mondays; and The Slow Cooked challenge hosted by Janice from Farmergirl Kitchen and The Baking Queen, which has a vegetarian theme this month.



Butternut Squash, Aduki Bean and Kale Crumble
Serves 6
Ingredients
4 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 onions, minced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon thyme
2 tablespoon tomato paste
1kg butternut squash, peeled and chopped into small cubes
300ml - 360ml vegetable stock
200g curly kale, stalks removed and chopped
120g-160g aduki beans, cooked, drained and cooled (or from a tin)
120g-160g sweetcorn (fresh, frozen or canned)
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Heat the oil in a wide pan, add the onions and cook until really soft, then stir in the garlic and thyme and cook for a few minutes before stirring in the tomato paste.
Stir in the chopped butternut squash and stock and cook slowly until the squash begins to soften, then stir in the kale and cook until it begins to wilt. 
Then stir in the aduki beans and sweetcorn and cook until the liquid begins to reduce and thicken,
Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary.
When the sauce is thick and the vegetables are cooked.  Turn off the heat and allow to cool.
When cool, transfer to a large casserole dish or six small ones.
For the crumble topping
280g fresh brown breadcrumbs
180g cheddar cheese or vegan alternative, grated
A few sprigs fresh thyme, leaves pulled off stalk
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
In a large bowl, mix the breadcrumbs with the cheese, thyme and season to taste.
Sprinkle liberally over the cooked vegetables.
Bake in oven gas mark 4/180oc for 30 minutes or until golden on top. 
Serve immediately with a light green salad. 

20 comments:

  1. Hope the weather becomes nicer soon! The sun is out where I live but the air is chilly. :) This dish looks like something I'd have to eat during this weather!

    Vegetarian CourtesyCheesePapas

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adi, the weather here is appauling - its is still very windy and wet wet wet. I am glad the sun is out where you are and pleased that you would tuck into this dish, come sunshine or rain.

      Delete
  2. We've had the same hideous weather today. Definitely a day for this sort of delicious comfort food. Thanks for joining us for the Slow Cooked Challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Janice - hideous indeed. Its pretty non-stop with the crappy weather. But always nice to come home to a warming meal

      Delete
  3. some of my favorite things...butternut squash and kale...

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. cold and miserable and wet but nothing that a portion of this divine crumble wouldn't fix!

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds delicious - would go down well here - our weather is so up and down that the other day it went down by 16 degrees overnight but we have had a surprising number of cooler days in autumn so hopefully will not have to pay with lots of hot days in summer :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna. I'm not feeling 100%, hope I am not coming down with something.lots of bugs going around associated with the weather

      Delete
  6. It looks gorgeous Shaheen, with or without the crumble topping and I would so love a plate full of it for supper tonight. Been to busy to do any cooking, so it's cheese and biscuits for us.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Choclette. so good to hear from you. I get days like that when I am too tired to cook and yeph, been guilty of nibbling on cheese and biccies

      Delete
  7. Savoury crumble just sounds amazing and obviously squash dishes are my favourites! It hasn't been nice here in Southern England either, not so rainy, but very windy. I'm happy to sit indoors after some Christmas shopping. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much VegHog.
      So glad you got to do some Christmas shopping, I just felt under the weather to do so, so hopefully next weekend will be the start of it.

      Delete
  8. I love a good savoury vegetable crumble - there's nothing quite like a steaming casserole dish coming out of the oven to make you forget the weather outside. I normally put butter beans in mine, next time I'm swapping them out for aduki instead!

    ReplyDelete
  9. So true Joey, steaming and oozing its good flavourful juices from the sides! I like butterbeans and that would be my pref in a casserole too, but I don't have any - so the change was nice.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oooohhh..... This sounds amazing Shaheen. Lovely mix of ingredients..... and Butternut makes everything good in my book. Love the fact that it is a savoury crumble too x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Kate.
      Obviously you can sub gf flour for the crumble topping.

      Delete
  11. What a fun recipe, Shaheen. This would be perfect once it gets really cold here.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You