Friday, 20 November 2015

Bookmarked Recipes and A Salted Peach Buttermilk Cake

I know there are a barrage of vegetarian and vegan cookbooks out there at the moment- spearing from every direction, some are on my wish list and some are not.  But I have been making a conscience effort to thumb through those neglected cookbooks already on my shelf and identify those recipes I want to try.  

Many of my cookbooks are vegetarian, some are vegan and many are not either.  I have been making a concerted effort over the weekend to cook and bake some of those bookmarked recipes and have already done so with many (see below).
Caribbean Modern (from the Library)
Dock Kitchen Cookbook 
Mildred's Cookbook
Meat-Free Any-Day
Moosewood Restaurant Celebrates
V is For Vegan
And I've even been inspired by some bloggers and food website.  
Well today's bookmarked recipe that comes from  Heidi Swanson's Super Natural Every-Day. Heidi's Buttermilk Cake is topped off with plums.  I made this at the weekend,  I had picked up some buttermilk intended originally for Irish Soda Bread, but as it was fast reaching it use by date.  In place of the thinly sliced plums, I had peaches.
As I followed the recipe, it advised, 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt.  I had large grain sea salt but not fine sea salt - so ended up choosing to use table salt.  So yes you can imagine it was a little salty, but okay none-the-less.  I went and checked the recipe on-line and found it under another guise called Salt-Kissed Buttermilk Cake.  It was the same recipe made with raspberries, but instructing to use an additional teaspoon of sea salt for the topping. The recipe indeed is mean't be be salty. 


  1. So many delicious recipes.<3
    I love how you added peach!

    Vegetarian CourtesyCheesePapas

  2. salty cake seems odd - though we had a little chat today about salt and sweet food, specifically vegemite and jam - and some of my family loved it and others not! it does look pretty with the peach on top

    1. Yeah, I agree.
      I do like sweet caramel and sea salt - yum.

  3. That's a very good idea to cook some of the bookmarked recipes. I have too many of them and only so rarely seem to get around to it. I also like the look of that cake!

    1. Thanks VegHog, yes I am working my way through some of them slowly, even those on the web.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You