Tuesday, 10 November 2015

Cauliflower Crumble

I was inspired by Ruby Tandoh's recipe in The Guardian to make a savoury Crumble.  
Its been a while since I've made a savoury crumble.  The last I blogged about one was when I made this Black Eyed Bean and Vegetable Crumble.  Ruby's herby topped crumble had butternut squash and spinach, mine has cauliflower and kale.  
Once I've scattered the remaining crumble on top, its ready to go into the hot oven. I like how the spicy tomato juices have dyed the cauliflower florets almost a copper gold.

Sorry no pictures of it coming out of the oven bubbling furiously on the sides oozing its unctuous volcanic tomato juices, but you get the gist.  I have to say, my savoury crumble reminded me more of a Leek and Butter Bean Cassoulet that I made years ago than a crumble, still it was good and I especially liked how silky the kale had become.   

You may be interested to note that I have also made a Sweet Cauliflower Crumble, but will share that recipe later in the month.  Instead  am sharing this Savoury Cauliflower Crumble with Cook Once Eat Twice.

Cauliflower, Kale and Bean Crumble
Serves 6 
4 tablespoon olive oil
1 large leek (or white onion) sliced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoon coriander powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 - 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
2 x 400g tinned tomatoes, chopped
1 large cauliflower florets, roughly chopped
300g curly kale, chopped
600ml vegetable stock
1 x 400g White beans such as butter beans or cannelini
Fro the savoury crumble topping
200g plain flour
125g unsalted butter
50g mixture of pumpkin and sunflower seeds
1/2 teaspoon chilli flakes
1/4 teaspoon cumin seeds
Heat oil in a wide pan and saute the leek and garlic until it begins to soften, then stir in the spices. Cook for a few minutes, before stirring in the chopped tomatoes.  Cook on medium heat for 15 minutes for the tomatoes to disintegrate into a sauce, then stir in the cauliflower, kale and stock. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat down and put the lid on and cook for 20 minutes or until the cauliflower becomes tender. Towards the end of the cooking check seasoning and then stir in the beans, simmer for 10 minutes before transferring to a casserole baking dish.
Whilst the cauliflower is cooling, make the crumble.
In a food processor or by hand, mix together the plain flour and butter and blitz until it becomes like breadcrumbs, then stir in the remaining ingredients ensuring that they are distributed evenly.
Scatter over the crumble topping over the cauliflower evenly.
Transfer dish to oven and bake for 20 - 30 minutes or until the topping is golden.
Serve immediately


  1. I would use a higher proportion of crumble - perhaps using a smaller dish, so that there is a thick layer on top of the veg.

    1. Mark, I think your missing the point. There is more than enough crumble for the top, I only covered half so people could see the filling before it was completely covered over and baked.

  2. My mum used to make a savoury crumble when I was growing up and this has reminded me of it. I loved the cheesy crunchiness of the crumble and seeing this has definitely made me want to have a go at a savoury crumble sometime soon too. Thank you so much for linking up with Cook Once Eat Twice.

    1. Yes, cheesy crunchiness - no cheese in this one, though you could add either cheddar or feta (as Ruby does).

  3. That sounds (and looks) great--and I don't know that I've ever made a savory crumble, how self-limiting that I thought it was the arena of desserts!

    1. I hope you give it a try some day, its not to every ones taste - but if you like trying new things then give it a go

  4. Just the images alone have me craving it!
    Thank you so much for sharing.<33

    Vegetarian CourtesyCheesePapas

  5. ...it looks delicious...and I love the cook once eat twice idea...

    ~Have a lovely day!

    1. Thanks Teresa, a lot of what I made tends to last 2, if not 3 days

  6. I do enjoy a savoury crumble - it's perfect winter comfort food. Something spicy and cauliflower-y is just what's called for on dark days.

  7. I've never made a savoury crumble but after seeing this I love the idea of it! The seeds and spices in the topping sound great.

  8. This looks and sounds amazing Shaheen! I'm not back to blogging yet but I will be posting some vacation pics soon.

    Thanks so much for sharing this oh so yummy and healthy sounding recipe!!!

    1. Thanks Louise. I will pop on over some time in the week. Hope you had a good vacation.

  9. oh yes, a savoury crumble... that's what i'm going to make this weekend. Yours looks gorgeous!

    1. Thanks Dom. Look forward to seeing your version - salivating already


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You