Wednesday, 31 December 2014

Zaatar Chickpea and Green Pepper Loaf

I made this Zaatar Chickpea Loaf yesterday.  I had not planned on it, but there was not much in the house in the way of fresh ingredients, so I was making the most of what we had at home in the kitchen cupboards and fridge. 

The Zaatar Chickpea Loaf actually turned out to be quite lovely.  Not dense, but packed with flavour and textures and surprisingly it also remained quite moist on the inside too.  
I served the Savoury Loaf with Zaatar Sweet Potato Chips that were simply baked in the oven. However, the plate still needed something else, shredded Brussels sprouts maybe, as that was the only green vegetable in my kitchen but I think I have had my fair share of sprouts for the year so gave it a miss.
For those of you who have not yet welcomed the New Year - What are your plans for the New Year celebrations?   I'm  staying indoors for the New Year celebrations with a plate of nibbles and a bottle of fizzy, so may I take the opportunity wish you all a Happy New Year for 2015. 2014 has been a better year for me.  A new home, a new job... but I look forward to 2015 and hope it will be even better.  May it be a kind one for all my lovely loyal readers too. See you in 2015. 

Zaatar Chickpea and Green Pepper Loaf
Serves 6
400g  x can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
160g fresh breadcrumbs (D had made a loaf of white bread in the bread machine a couple of days ago, so I blitzed that in my Magimix) 
1 green pepper, chopped into really small pieces
1 small red onion, minced
1 teaspoon cumin powder
1 teaspoon chilli flakes
2 teaspoons Zaytoun Zaatar 
1 teaspoon garlic powder (or two fresh garlic cloves, crushed)
Salt to taste
3 free-range eggs, beaten
Optional: teaspoon of sesame seeds and Zaatar for sprinkling 
In a large bowl, roughly mash the chickpeas, then throw in all the other ingredients  except for the eggs, then stir until the ingredients are evenly distributed.  
Finally stir in the beaten eggs until well combined.
Transfer the mixture to a loaf tin that has been lightly coated with oil and press the mixture gently.  (I actually made 6 individual ones) 
Optional: sprinkle over the sesame seeds and Zaatar if using. 
Bake at gas mark 4/180oc for 30 minutes.  
Allow to cool, before removing from the tin.
UP-DATED: Febrruary 2015 
This recipe has been made by Lou at Rainbow Chard and Chandra Eswaran who blogs at Green Commotion.


  1. This looks so yumfully delicious and I'm so loving nutty beany loaf meals lately...and leftover loaf sandwiches! We have an annual New Year party to attend, hosted by an old college friend so it's always a blast of fun! Wishing you many blessings for 2015...cheers! :)

    1. OOh I've not had them in sandwiches, must try some day. I am hoping to make another variation of these in the future.
      Happy New Year to you too.

  2. I can devour this in less than five minutes right now, it looks so delicious.<3
    Just seeing all the ingredients together gives me an idea on how great it must taste.
    Hope you have a great new year and see you in the blogging world in 2O15!

    1. It really was yummy and I hope to make them again in the near future. Happy NY to you too

  3. I love the flavors of za'atar. Sounds great in this chickpea loaf! A perfect clean-out-the-pantry meal.

    1. Thanks Joanne. Yes, a good way of using up whats in the pantry,this was my last can of chickpeas too, got to get me some more.

  4. Happy new year Shaheen! This looks a yummy recipe. It's meant to be rainy here tomorrow so I might do some baking.

    1. Thank you Lou.
      Happ New Year to you too.
      The weather has been so changeable this week. Ice early in the week, that we had to scrape it off the car to get into work, then mid week, rain rain rain and today, very windy, but dry. Not sure about tomorrow, but I have soup on my mind one made with black eyed peas reputed to bring good fortune. Lets hope. .

  5. I made this yesterday Shaheen. So easy and really tasty! It's good that you don't have to cook any of the ingredients first, unlike other loaf recipes.
    I didn't have the zataar mix but there's still a nice kick from the chilli flakes. I also made bread crumbs from frozen bread as we didn't have any fresh but all turned out ok :)

    1. I am so happy that you liked it Lou. so agree, very easy to make. The Zaatar is not necessary, it just gives it a different flavour - you can def. vary and adapt this recipe. Most excellent that you used frozen bread, i think thats a good idea. I have heard people doing that, but to be honest I have not yet. I hope to make this Chickpea loaf again, come February now as I am following the Veganuary challenge for January.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You