Tuesday, 9 December 2014

African Sweet Potato, Kidney Bean Groundnut Curry

I make this African Sweet Potato, Kidney Bean Groundnut Curry every so often.  The sauce is both sweet and spicy, thickened by the groundnuts. Sometimes I will make this African Curry with butternut squash, or throw in a bag of baby spinach to bulk it up when cooking for other people.   Its very popular with friends and acquaintances, except for one....



A young musical and talented friend cleaned her plate and declared it delicious.  It was later in the evening that she expressed that she was feeling poorly.  She did not put it down to the food as she had eaten loads of my dishes in the past, but then it dawned on her that the word 'groundnut' was another word for peanuts and it is.  She never said anything to me, but I think she may have had a nut allergy,  I felt very bad as it had not occurred to me at the time to make it clearer as to what 'groundnuts' were, as I just assumed the word 'nuts' would have been an indication.  So nowadays to avoid such incidents I make sure there is a big sign next to it, warning of nut allergens. Fortunately for me and her, she recovered and has eaten my food since.  
Well I made this on Sunday evening, the recipe makes a rather large portion so you can imagine it was great to come home to.  It reheats either on the stove top or in the microwave. 
African Sweet Potato, Kidney Bean Groundnut Curry
Serves 6 - 8 with rice
Ingredients
3 - 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
 large onion, finely sliced
2 - 3 garlic cloves
1 teaspoon red chilli flakes
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Salt to taste
2 tins x 400g tinned tomatoes, chopped
400g sweet potatoes (or butternut squash), peeled and chopped into bite size pieces
200ml water
2 - 3 tablespoons crunchy or smooth peanut butter
(Optional) 225g spinach roughly chopped
1 x 400g tinned kidney beans, drained and rinsed)
Method
In a wide pan, heat the oil, then stir in the onion and garlic and cook until soft, then stir in the spices and cook for a minute of so before stirring in the chopped tomatoes,  Cook with the lid on for 20  minutes, stirring from time to time until the tomatoes have softened and become a thick sauce.  Then stir in the chopped sweet potatoes, and cook for a few minutes, before stirring in the water.   Bring to a boil, the reduce heat and cook until the sweet potato (butternut squash) is cooked, check by piercing a fork or knife through it.   When the vegetable is soft, stir in the peanut butter and ensure it blends into the thick spiced tomato sauce, finally stir in the optional spinach and kidney beans. Adjust seasoning if necessary, then heat through until the spinach wilts, then serve immediately with either rice or bulgar wheat,  

16 comments:

  1. pooh that looks so warming and hearty. I love sweet potato and that rice ball looks so beautiful too... such a colourful pick-me-up for a day like today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, that sounds good! Just my sort of thing, though I would probably slip some chicken into it as well...! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark. It certainly is very versatile.

      Delete
  3. I'd love to try this out, especially since I've been so curious on trying curry.

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are loads of curry styles around, this one is African, the most popular is perhaps Indian. Hope you get to try some.

      Delete
  4. Mmmmm, this sounds delicious. Just the sort of thing I'd like. I want be making anything new this weekend because I'm going home for Christmas soon and have loads of meals in my freezer but I'm going to keep it in mind for when I turn to uni.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laura. You can freeze this dish, when I have too much, that is sometimes what I have done.

      Delete
  5. That looks and sounds perfect for this time of year; next time I make some peanut butter I'll have a go with maybe one of our pumpkins and some kale. Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This would be perfect with pumpkins and kale, I have actually made it with those veg too. Hope you like

      Delete
  6. Oh that looks absolutely delicious - I love the way you seve it with the rice in a little mound - I am going to steal that idea! I often make a butternut curry and love the additions you have here.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you AfricanAussie.
      Yes, I do sometimes posh up the presentation of the rice makes a difference and happy that it is something that you will do, glad to have shared. When I did a supper club a couple of years back, the venue owner also nicked the idea, made me smile. I have made this dish with butternut too, its nice.

      Delete
  7. So pleased I don't have a nut allergy (and awful for those who do!) ...... This sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too Kate. And really do feel for people who have any kind of food allergy,

      Delete
  8. This looks stunning! I have a Caribbean style curry in the planning, I just have to come around making it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I hope you get to try a variation some day.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You