Tuesday, 30 December 2014

Harissa and Pepper Veggie Sausage Bites

Its been a while since I made veggie sausage rolls at home.  I was prompted to make some thanks to the lovely Johanna over at Green Gourmet Giraffe for tempting me, as variations of vegetarian Sausage Rolls kept appearing at her table, especially this time of year.

My version is completely different and is made mostly with store-bought ingredients, namely the vegetarian sausage-meat and the puff pastry.  

In my haste, or rather greed.  I forgot to slice the rather long sausage roll into bite size pieces before putting in the oven to bake, that is why they don't look aesthetically pleasing, but they tasted good that I can assure you.  Slight spice from the harissa and crunch from the peppers; and the puff pastry light and crisp.  Yum.  
My husband loved them and requested that I make them more often, so I will be making them again in the next few days. Perhaps even put some in his lunch box for work - the big kid.  



Harissa and Pepper Sausage Bites
Ingredients
1/2 Packet (175g) of Suma vegetarian Sausage mix
1 tablespoon ready-made Harissa (mine was home-made see here for recipe)
1 teaspoon oregano
2 peppers (red, green or yellow), diced into incy wincy pieces
Packet of Ready rolled puff pastry 
Method
In a large bowl, stir in 1/2 packet of Suma Sausage mix and the harissa and oregano. Then carefully pour in 300ml cold water, stir well to combine and then let it sit for 30 minutes to thicken.  
Cut the pastry in half.
The sausage mix should be thick now, so stir in the diced peppers until combined well.  Then divide the mixture in six balls and then with your hand roll out into six sausage shapes that will fit snuggly into the pastry.
Heat oil in a large frying pan, and cook until golden.  Allow the sausages to cool completely.
Cut the pastry in half, then carefully transfer three of the Harissa Pepper sausages onto the pastry half. Fold over the pastry and then crimp with a fork to seal.  Slice carefully into bite size pieces. Optional: Brush with soya or dairy milk. prick with a fork here and there, Repeat for the second half of the puff pastry. 
Then bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until golden.
Serve alongside salad and other delicious nibbles. 

6 comments:

  1. I'm not a big fan of veggie sausages, but these look like they're very delicious!

    ️vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. To be honest, there was once a time when I never liked them, but since I started making my own versions, its all changed. The supermarket ones are not so nice. Too claddy.

      Delete
    2. I also shunned veggie sausages for a long time as they seemed to resemble meat too much, at least by looks. Now I even eat quite often the supermarket ones as well. Of course nothing can beat a homemade one and this recipe with harissa sounds especially yummy!

      Delete
  2. These look delicious Shaheen. Impressed that you also made your own Harissa! Years ago, you used to be able to get the most amazing veggie rolls from Sainsbury which were not 'meat'-like at all and I do miss them. These sound like a good alternative. Happy New Year x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kate,
      I have tried store-bought harissa, but have always found them a little harsh, so try and make my own, esp. to accompany a Morrocan style meal. I'll be making these again for sure.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You