Tuesday, 2 December 2014

Eat Your Greens #6

Welcome to Eat Your Greens Round Up  #6.    This is a monthly vegetarian cooking challenge for food bloggers.  The  idea behind 'Eat Your Greens' is really simple, to make something with a green vegetable each month.  
The first recipe comes from The Veg Hog.  Its Spinach Hedgehog and Hoglets.  I have to admit I had to gently persuade The Veg Hog to share her recipe with Eat Your Greens, as I felt her wonderful vegetarian blog needs wider audience, she makes some really lovely dishes that make me want to get in the kitchen and get cooking again.  
Anyway, bestow your eyes on these deep green spinach canapes on a golden light puff pastry base.  I think they are absolutely adorable and will look wonderful on any celebratory table come Autumn or Christmas. 
Corina who blogs at Searching for Spice shares with us a Creamy Pumpkin Spinach and Feta Quiche. I'm loving the flavour combination here, the creamy soft pumpkin, next to the salty feta - spinach topping.   Corina declares this quiche as one of the best vegetarian quiches you can make and most definitely the best pumpkin quiche.  Go on give it a go and see if you agree, I am certainly not doubting her. 
Johanna of Green Gourmet Giraffe gives us Cheesy Kale Quesadillas with Mole Sauce. I like kale, my husband likes cheese, so this recipe will be making an appearance in our home some time soon.  I am also very very curious about the homemade cocoa mole sauce.  Johanna writes that the cocoa adds richness without tasting like chocolate. I am looking forward to giving it a go some time very soon.



Caroline from Caroline Makes brings to the table a Vegetable Winter Crumble.  Now don't be deceived by the way it looks, as beneath that golden cheesy oaty topping you will find it loaded with vegetables, including green ones like broccoli and celery.  This dish is hearty and will stick to the ribs.  
Kate - The Gluten Free Alchemist impresses us with her home-made gluten free pasta that is dressed beautifully with green herby pesto.  I just want to pick up that fork, swivel it a little and then get stuck in.   
Linsy from Home Cook Food shared Red Cabbage and Baby Bok Choy Stuffed Steamed Dumplings.  These soft pillowed dumplings can be either steamed or pan fried, either way they look delicious.  
Chocolate Log Blog delights us with a bowl of pasta that includes grated courgettes, but this ain't no ordinary bowl of pasta.  The chilli tomato pasta sauce is elevated to something rather special with the addition of grated chocolate.
Laura from How to Cook Good Food excites us with this Kale Roasted Cranberry and Smoked Almond Salad. Now that really is a feast for the eyes and very, very seasonal - its almost like an edible Christmas wreath on a plate.
Louisa from Eat Your Veg wants to warm out bellies with her velvety smooth Pea and Coriander Soup.  This is a speedy recipe that can be made within minutes especially if you have frozen peas in your freezer. I may just have to give this a go, my husband is not a fan of mushy peas, but in a soup - I may just fool him. 
Janet at The Taste Space always makes me feel good with her offerings.  This time she shares a Mediterranean Chickpeas Braised with Brussels Sprouts, Kale and Sun-dried Tomatoes. I still have negative feelings towards sprouts, but I am always happy to try it when its cooked in different ways and this recipe has got me, well a little interested. 
We have another Brussels Sprouts recipe, this one comes from Vanesther at Bangers and Mash.   Its a big bowl of Brussels Sprouts and Red Cabbage Slaw, as with all slaws the ingredients in this are raw for crunch, yes even the sprouts - now I dare you to give that a go. 
And finally, from Soul Food Momma we have Spinach and Kale Power Pack Lunch.  Its not a soup or a salad, but a healthy bowl of vegetables including winter greens.  One surely to fill you up

Thank you so, so much to everyone who shares their green eats.  If you would like to share your #Eat Your Greens recipes for December, then please follow this link for details on how to participate.

10 comments:

  1. What a fantastic array of greenery and I always love your commentary. (I must caution that the cocoa does taste like chocolate but the chocolate taste recedes into the background with the other spices though at times when I tasted the sauce by itself I could taste the chocolate flavour more at first and then the spice takes over - and I spoke to someone recently who makes a far more complicated mole than mine so I am sure mine is not so authentic)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Johanna. Thanks for making me aware of the mole, I still want to try it though :)

      Delete
  2. I now feel compelled to share another recipe with Brussels sprouts for December. I will convert you. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ; ) Yu can try my dear, I do like them roasted though! I look forward to your December contribution.

      Delete
  3. Thank you so much for your kind words, Shaheen! I will now be participating every month. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so so welcome. I look forward to your contributions and am so happy that you will share from now on. Thanks.

      Delete
  4. Thank You so very much. Looking forward to participating again, this gives me a great way to incorporate a veggie recipe. Thanks again.

    SoulFoodMomma

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your so welcome and I look forward to your contribution next month.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You