Thursday, 7 August 2014

Vegan Courgette Chocolate Cake

The courgettes aka zucchini have started to come along in my garden and I've been cooking with them mostly in cake. 

One cake that I have made quite recently is this rather large vegan Courgette Chocolate Cake and its been relatively popular.  
If you look close, you may have to squint a little, you might be able to pick up the outer green skin from the courgettes.  The courgettes don't impart any flavour, in fact courgettes don't really taste of much, but they do add moisture to this rather dense cake.  I took some to share with some acquaintances recently, but did not tell them it was vegan, they really enjoyed it, but then who is going to say turn their nose up to a free slice of generous cake!?  
If a vegan version does not excite you, then you will be delighted to learn that I  have a recipe posted on my blog made with eggs, butter and cream,  follow this  link for the recipe
Also a quick plug to say that there is plenty of time to share your recipe for August edition of #EatYour Greens.  See here for details. 



Vegan Courgette Zucchini Chocolate Cake 
Makes two 1l b loafs or 2 x 8 inch round cake tins
Serves 12
425g plain flour
75g cocoa powder
11/2 teaspoon bicarbonate soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
Pinch of salt
180g golden caster sugar
400ml soy milk
2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
200ml vegetable oil
2- 3 medium courgettes, washed and grated
Method
Sieve the dry ingredients first over a large bowl, then stir in the sugar. 
In another bowl, combine the wet ingredients, then carefully pour into the dry ingredients and combine well. Then quickly stir in the grated courgettes and pour evenly into baking tins. 
Bake at gas mark 4/180oC for 40 - 45 minutes of until a toothpick comes out clean. 
Cool before turning out.  

22 comments:

  1. I make chocolate courgette cake too, it's my summer favourite! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sooz, would love to see your version.

      Delete
  2. This DOES look lovely, but I cannot find the Vegan recipe, only the dairy one. What am I missing? Thanks : )

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's on now, just scroll down. Hope you like.

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much! It looks great : )

      Delete
  3. I can never turn down chocolate! A slice of that cake sounds heavenly.

    vegcourtesy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. your cake looks beautiful - I have baked with chocolate and zucchini recently and it was delicious - they really do blend in wonderfully and give great texture

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've made zucchini chocolate cake before and it's pretty good. Your dairy version sounds delicious.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, especially with ice-cream!

      Delete
  6. Oooh that looks so good. I've yet to make a courgette cake this year. Can't wait to try this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dom. I look forward to seeing yours some time soon.

      Delete
  7. Looks delicious!

    ~Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooh yum! I just made zucchini chocolate muffins yesterday, in preparation for vegan MoFo! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh wow, muffins - its been a while since I've made muffins. Your so organised getting posts ready now, I will have to play along as the days arrive :)

      Delete
  9. I was just dreaming of this very thing this morning, wondering if I had a recipe and here you are with this lovely loaf! Thanks for sharing the recipe! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I do often make this with vegan cream cheese frosting, but here it is presented plain and simple, still good. I hope you like.

      Delete
  10. Mmmmmm I want a piece now! I'll definitely be giving this a whirl :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jasmine. I make it loads and often it is topped off with vegan 'cream cheese' but I failed to do it this time.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen