Sunday, 17 August 2014

Sri Lankan Chilli Coconut Runner Bean Pie

Early in the week we had every weather hit us thanks to Hurricane Bertha.  The sun shine, the rain fall, the thunder storms, the lightning, hailstones and then the blustery winds.  We woke up in the morning, only to look out of the bedroom window and  find the one vegetable doing brilliantly in the garden getting a good bashing from the weather.  One of our climbing bean frames was on its side.  We managed to get it back upright, but its not the same as the structure is now weakened.   Never mind. We harvested a load of runner beans,  I will probably freeze a load of them, but I want to make the most of them while fresh, so any recipe suggestions would be most welcome.  
I remembered making a Ceylonese Spiced Runner Beans recipe a few years back and thought why not incorporate some runner beans into a large pie.   I also had some Chilli Coconut Sambal that I decided to stir into the filling. The result this rather large Sri Lankan Chilli Coconut Runner Bean pie.  It is based on my Green Pasta Loaf. It has texture and bite from the runner beans and flavour from the Chilli Coconut Sambal.  There was heat from the chilli and sweetness from the coconut.  Its certainly different for a pie filling. 
This recipe is best made a day in advance, as it will cool down and making slicing a bit more effortless. Its fabulous for a picnic or as an accompaniment for a vegetarian friendly BBQ, with this in mind I have decided to share this Sri Lankan Chilli Coconut Runner Bean Pie with Vanesther at Bangers and Mash for this months The Spice Trail.  The Theme is Beach BBQ and the spice here is chill!. Also as Phaseolos coccineus are a scientific name for runner beans and I am going to use this as a good reason to share this pie with Caroline Makes and The More Than Occasional Baker for this months edition of AlphaBakes where the chosen letter is P.  Runner beans in some parts of the world are also known as Pole Beans too.  Finally, I am also sharing them with Karen at Lavender and Lovage for Tea Time Treats Picnic challenge also hosted with Janie at The Hedgecombers.



Recipe for Sri Lankan Coconut Runner Bean Pie
You can find the original recipe for my Green Pasta Loaf here.  
The changes I made was substitute the main ingredients: namely the pasta and vegetables with around 350g - 400g cooked runner beans; and enhanced the creamy egg mixture with 2 tablespoons of home-made Chilli Coconut Relish., but you can substitute it with shop bought.
Chilli Coconut Relish
Ingredients
100g dessicated coconut, not the sweet variety
1 shallot or small onion, minced well
1 teaspoons dried red chillies, crushed
1 teaspoons chilli powder
1 tablespoon coriander, minced
Juice of 1 lemon
Salt to taste
Method
Put all the ingredients into a bowl and combine well.  Leave to sit for 30 minutes for the flavours to mingle.

12 comments:

  1. Shaheen,
    The stuffing for this pie sounds so delicious.
    I don't bake much, but would to give the filling of this pie a try!
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow - this looks incredible. I love the sound of that flavour combination, and it's a perfect entry for this month's Spice Trail challenge. I'd love to take this pie on my next picnic!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I make pies all the time, but am not that often creative with the filling, so it made a lovely change.

      Delete
  3. That looks amazing.

    dineinnotout.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Krys. I hope to make a vegan version one of these days.

      Delete
  4. A really unusual pie - and a clever use of the letter P for alphabakes! Thanks for entering the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Caroline and so pleased you accepted as I was a tad unsure.

      Delete
  5. We have LOADS of runner beans this year, so this is the pie for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karen. Me too, still have so many to get through.

      Delete
  6. This looks amazing. What a fantastic combination of ingredients and flavours. Bookmarked and making for sure!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much Kate. I look forward to your GF version, please come back and ask questions if you find the recipe not very clear.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen