Monday, 18 August 2014

Runner Beans and Sweet Cherry Tomatoes

I mentioned yesterday that early in the week we had every weather hit us thanks to Hurricane Bertha.  We woke up in the morning, only to find the one vegetable doing brilliantly in the garden had been given a good bashing from the weather - the runner beans.  

One of our climbing bean frames was on its side.  We managed to get it back upright, but its not the same as the structure is now weakened and some of the roots have been pulled from the soil.   I have harvested a load of runner beans, and will probably freeze a load of them, but I want to make the most of them while fresh, so any recipe suggestions would be most welcome.  
The climbing french beans are also doing relatively okay, these are Blue Lake and Blauhilde - a purple variety (see below) that lose their colour upon cooking. 
Some of you may remember from last week, that our greenhouse tomatoes have been hit by something, so supply has been disappointing, still we have managed to get some and enjoy them on the side.
I am sharing this very small harvest with Daphne Dandelions for Harvest Monday.

12 comments:

  1. Mother Nature sure can inflict major damage. Hope your beans bounce back and do well. Your greenhouse tomatoes looks like they have the blight. Your local cooperative extension would be the best source to identify the problem and give advice.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true, but its partly me too - I have been a neglectful gardener, I am hoping next year my growing mojo is back. Yes, I think it is blight.

      Delete
  2. Very lovely tomatoes and beans, though from the link to the problem-tomatoes that you posted, it looks like you got late blight :( hope you'll be able to salvage what's left of them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jenny, yes I think it is blight. Making the most of them as they come.

      Delete
  3. Am hoping your runner beans make a comeback once you have the support back standing. They look beautiful as do the tomatoes. You asked about recipes and here is a simple one I use so hope that helps. foundathttp://gardeningbren.blogspot.ca/2012/09/so-autumn-begins.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Harvested a load more runner beans this morning Brenda. So there will def. be more recipes to come, but I thank you for yours and will be over to check it out,

      Delete
  4. There really is very little we can do about the weather - just grin and bare it, I suppose. The fact that your crops were not completely decimated and you still have a harvest is definitely something to be thankful for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So true Margaret. I am thankful truly, next year will be better, I can feel it in my bones.

      Delete
  5. Some years we get challenging winds too. So far this year it hasn't been too bad, but once we had a microburst over the garden. I was out propping up the bean supports too. But they never really are the same after that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daphne, your right - they are not the same, but I will make do with them for now.

      Delete
  6. So sorry your beans were toppled by the winds and tomatoes affected by blight. Sometimes gardening forces you to appreciate what you can harvest and hope for better next year. ~ Rachel @ Grow a Good Life

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen