Tuesday, 26 August 2014

Spicy Tomato - Runner Beans with Pasta

Summer seems to have come to a sudden and abrupt end, replaced first by a weekend of non-stop rain pour and it seems  now that the week ahead is not going to be much better either.  

So its time for some warm bowl like grub.  Not quite cold for soup or stew, but definately a big bowl of pasta coated in thick red sauce, even better if that sauce is a little spicy.  As I have loads of runner beans still coming from the garden, I decided to incorporate some of these into this pasta dish, it made more of a meal of it for sure.    



would describe this pasta Puttanesca style, but with more bite and texture, as well as the fact it is vegan too.  I am sharing this recipe with for Four Seasons Food August challenge  hosted by Delicieux and Eat Your Veg which is all about tomatoes - sadly my  homegrown tomatoes have been very few, so I have used tinned here, but if you are blessed you can use fresh in this recipe. 
Spicy Tomato - Runner Beans with Pasta
Ingredients
Serves 4
4 tablespoons olive oil
4 cloves garlic, peeled and crushed
2 fresh red chillies, sliced or 1 teaspoon chilli flakes
1 x 400g tinned tomatoes, crushed or blitzed in a food processor
400g runner beans, topped tailed and sliced into pieces
Optional: 1 tablespoon black olives from a jar, rinsed and sliced
Salt and pepper to taste
Method
Heat a large pan, big enough to hold the ingredients.  Add the oil and the garlic and fry them gently until the garlic begins to soften, then stir in the chilli and heat for a minute, before stirring in the tomatoes.  Bring to a boil, then turn down and allow to simmer gently fro 10 minutes, then throw in the beans and cook for a further 15 minutes, or until the runner beans are tender.   

While the sauce is simmering away gently, cook enough pasta of your choice four 4 people.
Cook according to packet instructions.  When made, drain and stir well into the thick sauce, along with the optional sliced black olives.  Season to taste with salt and pepper, then simmer for a few minutes before serving.

8 comments:

  1. This sounds good. I shall try it, thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy, if runner beans are not available use climbing beans instead.

      Delete
  2. is so yummy!! :)
    why don't we follow each other?
    I add your blog to mine if you can do the same here is the link!
    That’s amore

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chillis and Runner Beans - a great combo. I'm not keen on hot olives for some reason, although I like them cold. I wish I had more Runners; this year's crop is very small by my usual standards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mark, you can omit the black olives I just like the added piquancy. I'd be happy to have made a veg swap with you Mark as the one thing i have loads of are runner beans.

      Delete
  4. Shaheen,
    I would love to know how you spiced this dish.
    I hope the weather is conducive to whatever your heart desires.
    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The inclusion of chiilies Chandra makes this dish more interesting for me.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen