Saturday, 2 August 2014

Broccoli Chickpea Cakes

A few weeks back I visited blogger friend Krys new vegan food blog Dine In Not Out and was intrigued by these crustless vegan 'Quiches' dubbed by her Breakfast of Champions.  I became first acquainted with Krys, obviously though blogging, but it was through Pay It Forward where Krys was the lucky recipient of my package when I lived in Scotland that we stayed in touch albeit it though social networking.  

Krys originally used to blog  at Two Vegan Boys, a blog dedicated to her two boys and their vegan eats and following their adventurous exploits.  Its was not a fancy blog, but down to earth, honest and genuine.  She recently started blogging at Dine In Not Out and shares her love for gardening, growing vegetables and of course cooking and baking. 
Over the years, I 've seen variations these savoury chickpea cakes often described as vegan crustless 'quiches' many many times, but I've not been that tempted to get up and make it, even when I have specifically asked for the recipe, but a few days back that was to change.  I actually made these yesterday and they pretty much were all gone, except for these two. 

Once you have made the chickpea batter and poured them into muffin moulds or small tins, you can top them off with whatever vegetable you wish, here I used broccoli florets from the garden.  D even enjoyed them, I thought he would find them much of a muchness and too dense, but he actually liked them a lot, so I will definitely be making them again, but with different filling and they will certainly be enjoyed throughout the day, not just for breakfast.  Thank you Krys for actually getting me motivated to make these tasty and filling morsels. 


Other chickpea flour recipes on A2K _ A Seasonal Veg Table
Courgette Pakoras in Spicy Tomato Sauce August 2009
Welsh Pakoras with Caerphilly Cheese March 2009
Chickpea Pancake aka Farinata  October 2009
Portobello Mushroom Scottish 'Haggis' Pakoras January 2010
Beetroot Pakoras June 2010
Kohlrabi Fritters August 2010 
Chickpea Chips or Fries December 2010
Wild Garlic Pakora April 2011
Small Chickpea Pancakes April 2014

I am sharing this with Jacqueline of Tinned Tomatoes for this months edition of Bookmarked Recipes #36 Recipe bookmarked from Dine In Not Out via Lime Tree Life. 

13 comments:

  1. I have tried crustless vegan quiches out of tofu and of chickpea flour and I preferred the chickpea ones - sounds lovely and a great way to use some garden produce

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, will be making more of these for sure with different fillings.

      Delete
  2. So happy to hear you enjoyed them. And, I am honoured to be your friend. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you sooo much Krys. x I will enjoy them for years to come.

      Delete
  3. ooooh, these sound utterly divine... I know The Viking would LOVE these, they look so summery too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Dom. Yes, your right, they do look summery.

      Delete
  4. Lovely recipe, Shaheen.
    I see lots of caramelized red onions, rosemary and red bell peppers in my version, along with the important thing - broccoli.

    Peace :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Chandra, but I have to thank my friend for sharing the recipe. I like the sound of your version and who knows may try it out.

      Delete
  5. Broccoli and chickpeas two of my most favourite ingredients - Add these to a large leafy homegrown salad and some mustard dressing and I would be set.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lorna, yes some leafy homegrown salad would be perfect with it, and some tomatoes too :)

      Delete
  6. Thanks for entering your cakes into Bookmarked Recipes. I'm thinking they would be great with soup. The roundup is now live.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These look amazing - I'm going to definitely have a go at them - I have gram flour just waiting to be put to work!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You