Monday, 11 August 2014

Rotten Tomatoes and Good Tomatoes

Well not good news for my husband on the greenhouse front.  
The tomatoes have disappointed him, well most of them have.  He was tending to them well and they were looking good, promising in fact, then one-day he walked into the greenhouse and noted all was not well in his greenhouse.  I feel for him.  
The garden is not looking that fantastic either, truth is its all due to my own neglect.  I have been a very very bad gardener.  I have lost the growing bug a little and have not been finding much motivation to go out in the garden.  Here are some late broad beans.  The only thing I can do with them is mash them into a dip of sorts.
In my very weedy and overgrown garden, the only thing that seems to be thriving (no help from me) are the climbing beans, namely the runner beans.  I have made a couple of dishes with them and will share soon. 
I have hardly had any courgettes, the reason is this - all the energy has gone into creation of this huge specimen that little ones did not have a chance to thrive.  Upon harvesting this specific specimen, I found another two well hidden by the overgrowth!  
And finally, here are the good tomatoes, just a few, but boyo they are sweet!  I am sharing this short post with Daphne Dandelions for Harvest Monday

18 comments:

  1. Sorry to hear that you have lost your gardening mojo! And what exactly is the problem with the tomatoes? Is it blight? You'll probably find that if you leave things as they are for a while (maybe do something different for a bit?) and come back to it in a few weeks your enthusiasm will be re-invigorated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am hoping next year will be better - After a long period of lows, positive change on the horizon :) I am not sure what the disease is, but it is similar to what you had, except the tomatoes are affected at the top, not the bottom. I don't think it is blight. I hope to be much more organised next year, the fruit trees have nothing on them either - know nothing about growing fruit on trees, need to learn there.

      Delete
  2. Nice harvest Shaheen, I've been a bit bad with my little garden too, it's been too hot and I've been too busy - I have a monster courgette too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think the weather has some part to play in my lazy ness too. Look forward to seeing your monster courgette

      Delete
  3. It might seem slim pickings to you but I think it looks like a fantastic yield and am always happy to see your garden flourishing. I hope we might try tomatoes again this year - tried them in a pot last year and the heat got them on one day that I neglected to put them in the shade.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna. Next year, lets compare notes :0)

      Delete
  4. That is a huge zucchini (courgette)! My plants aren't producing much either - and they are fairly small & sparse so there is no hiding spot for anything but the smallest fruit. Those cherry tomatoes do look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. lol @ the courgette! That is one giant whale of a veggie!
    Best motivator for getting back in the garden is that it's cheaper than our farmers' market, though I'll never grow some of the exotic varieties they sell. The market and the garden are a deliciously harmonious balance..:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL indeed. There is another one waiting for me to pick! I hope to be more organised next year and grow more unusual varieties that are not on the market shelves

      Delete
  6. Wow that is one big zucchini. I always try to pick them small, but every year I seem to end up with one like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Daphne, glad I am not alone - but not many small ones so far :(

      Delete
  7. Those tomatoes look lovely! Nothing much beats a sweet homegrown tomato. I wish my squash plants were big enough to have hidden squash underneath...but as usual, my plants are small and my squash is few...sigh.

    ReplyDelete
  8. aw sorry to hear your harvest has been disappointing. Just shows we/our gardens thrive with love and attention. The bug will come back when the time is right x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Nic, so lovely to hear from you. Your right garden does thrive with love and attention, both of which I have been guilty of .

      Delete
  9. Oh no, the gardening mojo has gone on holiday? It'll come back soon and before you know it! Still a pretty good harvest though! What will you do with that enormous courgette! Jam, chutney, stuffed........ :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, hopefully it will return. The weeding has to be done though :(
      I had two courgettes, gave one to my mother, the other i have used in a number of dishes that I will share over the next week.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You