Friday, 10 January 2014

Hijiki Tofu

A little hijiki goes a long way.  

Hijiki is a mild, earthy flavoured seaweed.  Hijiki is certainly an acquired taste - having umami flavours.  You can find packets at most Asian and Oriental supermarkets.  At first the hijiki seaweed looks like dried tea strands, but when soaked and reconstituted it swells to about 4 times its original weight.  Like all seaweed, hijiki must be rinsed thoroughly before being added to the dish you are making .


When served up, it certainly makes for a dramatic plate: the jet green samphire-like seaweed next to the orange matchsticks and sesame-soy burnished tofu.  This dish makes a pleasant change to my normally spiced up diet.  I am sharing it with  Ricki at Diet, Dessert, Dogs for her Wellness Weekends 9-13 January.
Tofu Hijiki Saute 
Serves 2
Ingredients

Cook enough white or brown rice for 2, keep warm

25g dried hijiki seaweed
1 tablespoon sesame oil
200g firm tofu
1 onion, finely sliced
1 carrot, sliced into matchsticks
1 tablespoon Tamari
1 teaspoon sesame seeds
Method
Rinse and drain hijiki to remove any grit.  Then place the hijiki in a bowl with warm water to cover and let soak for 20 minutes. 
While hijiki is soaking, drain and drain the tofu. Slice the tofu into even sized cubes excess water.
In a large pan, heat the sesame oil.  Add the tofu and saute on medium heat, stirring frequently until browned.  Remove the tofu and set aside.
To the same pan, add the onions and cook until soft, then add in the carrots and cook for 4 minutes.
Drain hijiki and add it to the pan, along with the tofu, the Tamari and heat thoroughly.  Then stir in the sesame seeds.  Serve immediately with the rice.



8 comments:

  1. this looks amazing - I used to buy tofu and hijiki pies from the uni food co op and loved them - this looks a bit like the filling

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have me curious now and I would love to give this filling a pastry shell now, can you expand a bit more so I know what kind of pies you mean as i have no idea.

      Delete
  2. Hmmm; I don't think I would like that seaweed stuff. If even you describe it as "an acquired taste", then I'm guessing it is not the sort of thing that would appeal to the British palate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to have to shlep some Welsh laverbread for you one of these days and they you can decide for sure whether you like or not And that is British! still an acquired taste :)

      Delete
  3. I am thankful that I discovered this blog , just the right information that I was looking for! .
    Awesome post and right to the point, I am not sure if this is in fact the best place to ask but do you people have any idea where to get some professional writers? Thanks in advance

    Top Ten Web Hosting Reviews

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Helen.
      I'm sorry I can't help you.

      Delete
  4. Yum! I had some amazing black pepper tofu in the weekend, this looks every bit as good. Hope all is well x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So good to hear from you. I do like black pepper tofu and you have my mouth watering,

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen