Sunday, 5 January 2014

Brussels Sprouts Hash

I was never a fan of Brussels sprouts before I started this blog, in fact I positively detested them. Like as child ignoring them whenever they were served up on my plate.  But this changed, when I started growing my own vegetables.  I challenged myself to find ways of 'trying' to enjoy the vegetables that I grew as well as those that I purchased; and this meant cooking them creatively - not just out of the culinary box, but out of the traditional vegetable basket; and this trend has continued with other vegetables.  

Anyway, I've mentioned before that now my absolute favourite way of eating Brussels sprouts is oven roasted, so that those hard green baby cabbage balls transform into something soft, more delectable: charred golden, crisp here and there, but mostly caramelized.  However, in this particular recipe, the sprouts are cooked slowly oven the heat in a frying pan.  The sprouts still  get a similar treatment as you would from oven roasting.  If your still sceptic about sprouts, I woudl encourage you to try them this way, you may find yourself liking them, like I did.
Brussels Sprouts Hash


I've made Brussels sprouts hash before, but have decided to have it for brunch today with some home-made Boston Baked Beans, that is bubbly away in the oven, it should hopefully be ready around mid-day.

Please note at the start of the cooking process, the pan will be over-spilling with raw vegetables at first, but slow cooking is essential here. This may take up to 30 to 40 minutes for the vegetables to shrink and turn golden soft. So be patient, it is worth the wait. Or you can shove them in the oven!

Brussels Sprouts Hash
Serves 3 -4 with accompaniments
Ingredients
1 tablespoon olive oil
1 medium onion, finely sliced
2 garlic cloves, crushed
250g Brussels sprouts, trimmed of stems and cut into quarters
1 large or 2 medium potatoes, peeled and chopped into even size cubes (make sure they are chopped to cook in the same time as the sprouts)
100ml water
Salt and pepper to taste
Method

In a large pan, heat the oil. Add the onion, garlic and saute them until soft. Add the sprouts and the potatoes and cook for about 5 minutes moving the vegetables around to prevent from sticking. Then add the water, salt and pepper to taste and cook until the water evaporates. Now turn the heat up and saute the vegetables, shake the pan or stir the vegetable now and again, so that all sides turn colour. Keep doing this, until the vegetables are cooked through. 
Serve immediately.

14 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. No way :) Yes, way, why not - sprouts are in season. pS I bet you added some bacon or lardon to yours though.

      Delete
  2. I have to try and learn to love these little beasties ... maybe this recipe will be the one to convert me. However, due to my Challenge now being underway and not wanting to spend any of my daily pound on something I may not love (unless of course I can get some 'yellow stickered' beasties) I will have to wait until the packet of seeds I have, have been planted, grown and then harvested .... so it may be a while until I get to try this :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hopefully you'll get to try them next year. Good luck with the challenge. I have things happening in the background and there is a possibility that I may get some growing space, so will have to look into these 'yellow stickered' sprouts that you mention - got me all curious now, I was aware of purple ones.

      Delete
    2. Haha .... I meant supermarket 'yellow stickered' reduced items sold off at the end of the day for pennies instead of pounds!!

      My seeds are just ordinary Brussels Sprouts, I was talked into buying them by my Lovely Hubby who DOES like sprouts but never gets them owing to my dislike of them .... I know ... I'm mean!!

      Delete
    3. Whoops :) Well, I must say I have seen Brussels sprouts trees reduced, so who knows maybe you'll get to try these before you start growing your own.

      Delete
  3. Looks delicious - I love sprouts!

    Nicole - www.missfridaysfeast.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  4. I hate them I am afraid, roasted and a bit charred then made into this sounds a bit more acceptable!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know where your coming from, but I do hope you will give them a go this way - you never know, they may just be palatable for you.

      Delete
  5. I love them too! Such a satisfying dish. Wish I grew more.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm going to try this way although I love sprouts anyway! I have potatoes I need to use up. Thanks
    Joy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy. I will be popping over later to have a nosy.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You