Friday, 3 January 2014

Ginger or Orange Raw Fruit Bites

Raw vegan protein fruit balls seem to be the rage at the moment, just take a gander at Pinterest.  I came across them many years ago in a nutritionist cookbook and even in one of my raw food cookbooks, but dismissed them for two reasons.  One, they were being promoted as health food and at the time that was not my focus; and secondly I just found them way too simple.  something, that my nephews and nieces could knock up in the home economics class, but I have to day my opinion of them has changed somewhat recently.  

Yes dried fruit protein balls come under various guises: amazeballs, bliss balls and even date bombs, but for me they will always be a raw gluten free flapjack in a perfectly formed round morsel of a bite. Okay enough of the waffling, I have two recipes to share, similar to the Cranberry Date Bites.  

The photographs featured here are both for Orange and Date Bites, but I've also recently made Ginger and Date Fruit bites, perfect for this grim dark wet weather and for those with a bit of the sniffles.  I am sharing some of these energy balls with  Ricki at Diet, Dessert, Dogs for her Wellness Weekends 2-6 January.

Orange and Date Fruit Bites
About 25
150g dried dates
35g  almond flakes or ground
zest from 1 orange
1 teaspoon orange water
25g dessicated coconut
Ginger and Date Fruit Bites
About 25
140g dried dates
50g  almond flakes or ground
1 teaspoon of crystallized ginger, minced
1 teaspoon ginger syrup or water
25g dessicated coconut
Add all the ingredients except for the coconut in a food processor and blitz for a minute or until the mixture is sticky.  If the mixture is not sticky, then pour in the optional water and blitz again.  The using a  teaspoon, scoop enough of the fruit mixture then roll into a ball.  Coat in the coconut and leave in fridge to firm up.  Good for 2 weeks if kept refrigerated. 


  1. These would make a very welcome addition to snack boxes next week. I've been in a bit of a repetitive rut & the kids are now complaining that they get no 'surprises'. I bet they'll love these!

    1. They would be nice in a snack box. If i ever get a job, it will be in my snack box too :) Hope your well, its good to hear from you.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You