Sunday, 12 January 2014

Chestnut Mushroom Tofu Roast

I have my head down as I have things happening in the background, if any success comes of any of them I will share them with you later int he week, if not it will stay in the background and I will move on once more.

In the meantime, to help me get on with these tasks, D has volunteered to make vegetarian or should I be more precise and say Vegan Sunday Roast Dinner with most of the trimmings.  I suggested instead of accompanying the vegetables with a brand name vegan family roast, he have a go at making this Chestnut Mushroom Tofu Roast.   I reminded him how much he enjoyed it the last time I made it.

He smiled back, 'yes - you made it'.  

Well if you want to have a go at making this Chestnut Mushroom Tofu Roast at home, and I strongly recommend that you do so, just bare in mind that it is rather substantial.  It should really be made for a gathering of friends and family; not for two people, unless of course your planning to make it ahead for the working week.   And for those of you who dislike tofu, I can assure you that you will not know it is there as it gets lost with all the other ingredients, plus its namely there as a binding agent. See below how it sliced beautifully too. 
This recipe forms part of Veganuary month.    Veganuary is a campaign in association with Viva!  that is encouraging people to pledge and eat delicious vegan food, for every meal this January.  I am also sharing this recipe with  Recipe of the Week hosted by A Mummy Too
and  One Ingredient Challenge: Healthy:  hosted by Nazima at Franglais Kitchen and Laura at How to Cook Good Food

Chestnut Mushroom Tofu Roast

Serves 6 - 8

3 tablespoons olive oil

1 large onion, finely sliced
4 garlic cloves, crushed
50g chopped walnut or Brazil nuts
50g rolled oats
150g chestnut mushrooms, sliced
500ml vegetable stock
1 tablespoon Tamari or soy sauce
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
2 tablespoons tomato paste
2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
Salt and pepper to taste
500g firm tofu, pressed of excess water and crumbled
3 tablespoons arrowroot or cornflour
140g stale brown bread crumbs
In a large pan, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and cook, stirring occasionally until soft and golden brown. Transfer to a bowl. Set aside
In the same pan, heat the remaining oil. Add the nuts, oats and mushroom. Saute for a few minutes, stirring frequently, until the mushrooms are tender. Stir in a small amount of stock, turn up the heat and loosen stuck on bits. Add the remaining stock and cook for 10 minutes. Add the Tarmari or soy sauce, mustard, tomato paste, vinegar and vegetarian Worcestershire sauce. Continue to cook until the mixture is thick. Add to the bowl with the onions and set aside. Season to taste.
Add the tofu and arrowroot or cornflour to a food processor; puree until smooth. Add to the onion mixture and blend in enough breadcrumbs to make a thick paste; mix well/ tip gently into a non-stick or lightly oiled loaf pan measuring 9 by 5 by 3 inches. Press down firmly to pack in the mixture into the pan. Bake for 40 minutes. 

For best results, I would advise leaving the loaf cool for an hour or so before slicing; or make a day ahead and reheat. 


  1. what a genius idea... i'm always looking for interesting veggie ideas and this is perfect for a sunday lunch!

    1. Thank you Dom. Apologies for not coming over lately, promise I will pay a visit to your blog this week.

  2. I need to learn the knack of baking a firm loaf!

    1. :) I hope you do. Practice makes perfect as they say


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You