Saturday, 25 January 2014

St Dwynwen's Day - Welsh Valentines Day

Did you know that Wales has its own Valentines Day known as Dydd Santes Dwynwens celebrated today - the 25th January.  

St Dwynwen is The Welsh Saint of Love and Lovers. 
Artwork by Norris Nuvo
Saint Dwynwen lived in the 5th century AD and was one of twenty four daughters of Saint Brychan.  Its a strange story, surrounded by much speculation.  The story goes, that Dwynwen fell in love with a man called Maelon, nothing unusual there I know, however what is interesting about this story is the outcome - She is then either raped by Maelon and prays for help: or she is unable to marry him due to her fathers refusal and prays to forget her love for Maelon. An angel comes along and provides her with a potion.  Maelon consumes it and it turned into ice.  She  repents at what has become of her love and prays for three wishes.  These three wishes are:  that Maelon be released; God look after all true lovers; and that she remain unmarried for the rest of her life.  She retreats to  Llanddwyn Island, off the coast of Anglesey to become a recluse and live in solitude until the day she dies around 460AD. The site has become a pilgrimage for lovers and is visited to this day.   

Her name Drynwen translates to 'she who leads a blessed life; and her most well known saying is 'nothing wins hearts like cheerfulness'.  So if you want to show your loved one a little affection today and celebrate St Dwynwen's Day with us today, why not download a Welsh Love Spoon Card for your loved one tonight, courtesy of Visit Wales.

I leave you with some home-made heart-shaped delights. 
Cranberry Scone - You can also stud with blueberries


  1. happy welsh st dwynwends day - what a great tale of the saint - though sad too. love your heart shaped creations

  2. What an interesting story! I had no idea she existed before reading this, so thank you for that.- And thinks for giving me a reason to celebrate! Your heart-shaped creations look beautiful :)

  3. Diolch. Thank you for reminding me!

  4. Hi, thanks for visiting my blog and your nice comment. This was really interesting, I never knew the Welsh had their own valentines day.

    Love the sound of beetroot hummus. I always have too much beetroot so must bookmark that one for use later in the year.

    Emma x

  5. Hi Shaheen!
    I featured you today in honor of Burns Night...I didn't know it was St Dwynwen's Day too! Such an enchanting story and lovely name.
    Your sweet little heart-shaped Rhubarb, Rose Petal and White Chocolate Flapjacks would be fun to make for this one...I'll try to remember for next year. Cheers! :)

    1. Thank you so so much Pace Patch - so humbled, really. I will be by for sure and let my readers here know too, hopefully some of them will go by - I am sure they will.

  6. Such a 'love' ly post, full of hearts and a story too! Something I didn't know in fact. Thank you.

    1. Liking the 'love' ly - Gardeningbren.
      Yes, its so good that they teach it at the schools here, as children would never know and she would be overlooked.

  7. "One of 24 daughters of St Brychan.."?? They were a robust lot in those days, evidently, and perhaps nor very saintly!


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You