Wednesday, 1 January 2014

Cranberry and Date Snowballs

May I wish you all a Happy New Year.  I hope to reflect on 2013, but just don't feel like doing so right now.  What I will say is that I am glad 2013 is  in the past, and that I am positively looking forward to 2014.  

Okay onto food.  Many of you will know that I am a vegetarian; and what I cook and eat at home is hugely vegan, it is with this in mind I signed up last month to participate in Veganuary.  Veganuary is a campaign in association with Viva!  that is encouraging people to pledge and eat delicious vegan food, for every meal this January.  

Although I have some black-eyed peas on the simmer reputed to bring you good luck and prosperity if eaten on New Years Day, right now I am going to share a simple recipe of Cranberry and Date Snowballs 


These snowballs are not the kind that will make you shiver, but will give you a little glow of warmth. They may be tiny morsels, but they are bursting with flavour.  I would not describe them as overly sweet either, in fact a slight sharpness comes from the cranberries.  

I made a load of these last week and shared them not only with family, but also for Decembers vegan food swap.  
Cranberry and Date Snowballs
Lost count of how many it makes ...oops
Ingredients
100g dried dates
60g dried cranberries
35g  almond flakes or ground
Optional:1 teaspoon cold water
25g shredded coconut
Method
Add all the ingredients except for the water and coconut in a food processor and blitz for a minute or so or until the mixture is sticky.  If the mixture is not sticky, then pour in the optional water and blitz again.  The using a  teaspoon, scoop enough of the fruit mixture then roll into a ball.  Coat in the coconut and leave in fridge to firm up.  Good for 2 weeks if kept refrigerated. 



4 comments:

  1. Best Wishes for 2014 to you, Shaheen! I hope things take a turn for the better...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Mark x
      Truly wishing for a better year - the past three have been not been easy.

      Delete
  2. They look really scrummy, thank you.
    A Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Joy and Happy New Year too.
      Thank you so much for taking the time to comment, its most appreciated

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You