Sunday, 5 May 2013

Vegan Garlic Mushroom Parsley Pies

I've created lots of individual hand-made pies over the past year with unusual pie fillings such as these  Paprika Mushroom and Potato Pies , Soy Mince 'Keema' Pies,  so much so that some people jokingly call me 'Veggie Pie' or 'Vegan Pie Girl' in my little corner of Wales.   There are also a couple of vegetarian ones such as my Caerphilly Cheese, Leek and Potato Pies aka the Welsh Pie; and Butternut Squash, Chickpea and Feta Pie.

I've mentioned the Garlic and Mushroom Pies in a past blog post, but noted recently that I had not yet shared a recipe or blogged about it in much detail.  My Garlic Mushroom Pies were the first pies to sell out at the cafeteria.  It was also the first pies to sell out at the couple of food and crafts Fayre's I've attended.  I've learned recently because of my absence at a vegan food fayre this month, one of the other vegan stalls has decided to recreate a version of my vegan Garlic Mushroom Pies - I guess I should see it only as a compliment; not just that a fairly newish vegetarian cafe in South Wales has also started making tarts with garlic mushroom filling - I guess I'm a trend setter.

I think its quite funny how I came to create these Garlic Mushroom Pies and its something I'd like to share with those of you still reading my blog (Thank you). I would have people coming into the cafeteria, sitting down and without even looking at the daily chalked boards: ordering Jacket potato topped with buttery garlic mushrooms. My staff would look at them and think when was it the last time you were here?! Certainly not a loyal customer as the previous owners sold the cafeteria to my landlords three - four years ago. It hasn't been on the menu for yonkie years.
don't mean to sound snobbish, but I am a serious vegetarian cook and jacket potato for me is homely food that anyone can make.  Its also a easy peasy back up for those mainstream eateries that don't have many suitable options for vegetarians and vegans.  Well you won't find jacket potatoes topped with salads on the menu here. I also don't understand some people, they don't come by an independent family run eatery for months, then come back a few years later expecting the same grub on the menu.  This is not a high street food chain.  

Anyway, enough of the rant.  It got me thinking, instead of turning away these potential customers (albiet they may not be back again in another three - four years) what could I do to encourage them to stay and try something new and different.  Well I thought I'd merge garlic mushroom and potatoes in a pastry casing.  The response from my regular loyal customers of all diets has been fantastic.  It also shows how much people have becomes adventurous, I remember a time when people used to turn their noses up at garlic, accuse people of having garlic breath and blurt out their stereotypes of the French. The opportunity to travel abroad has definitely opened up some peoples eyes and palettes to different worldwide cuisines and versatility of ingredients such as the garlic that is the star of this pie.
Whenever these pies are featured, they do really sell out and unlike the original Jacket Potato with garlic Mushroom which were drenched in butter, l these are suitable for vegans and those who avoid dairy. They are so popular and are on the menu every two weeks. Usually at the start of the week when I have loads of mushrooms left over from Saturday Vegetarian Breakfast.  

If too much garlic worries you. You can tame it a little by adding in a couple of cooked and diced potatoes to the mix, this would also sup up some of the juices and stop the pie from getting a soggy bottom. The trick really is to make the pastry bottom a little thicker than the lid.

For those of you interested, this week I also made Wild Garlic Mushroom Pies.  I will share that recipe later this month.  They were just as popular as these.   I am sharing these Garlic Mushroom pies with Javelin Warrior's for his Made with Love Mondays as they fit in nicely with this weeks optional theme of fresh mushrooms.
Garlic Mushroom Parsley Pies
Makes 6 - 8pies
Ingredients
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 bulb of garlic, peeled and crushed

400g - 600g chestnut mushrooms, cleaned, halved or quartered if large
1 teaspoon dried parsley or I tablespoon freshly minced parsley
Optional: 200g peeled, cubed and cooked potatoes 
Salt and pepper to taste

Method
In a wide pan, heat the oil in a large pan and sauté the garlic and sauté for 1 minute before adding in the mushrooms. Keep the heat high and cook the mushrooms, stirring frequently until softened.
Stir in the parsley optional potatoes and seasoning to taste.  Stir to combine well, then remove from the heat and cool to room temperature.

Now make the pastryYou have three choices for the pastry.
For ease, you can use shop bought puff pastry or shortcrust pastry – in which case pour the filling into a casserole and top with the pastry and cook according to packet instructions.
Or you can make your own shortcrust pastry. For recipe follow here.
Or You can make you own hot water crust pastry. Follow here for the recipe. For individual pies, see here.
Preheat the oven to gas mark 5.

Fill the pastry and top with lid.
Bake for 30 - 40 minutes depending on the size of your shortcrust or hot water crust pastry pie(s). Allow to cool, before serving.

16 comments:

  1. Those sound and look wonderful Shaheen. I love mushrooms above all else, so I would love these. Must try them. Thank you for the recipe x

    ReplyDelete
  2. I keep looking at all your lovely recipes for Wild Garlic and wishing my patch of the stuff would grow bigger and quicker, so that I could pick some! I'm being really restrained though and I have vowed not to pick any until next year, by which time it will hopefully be well established.

    BTW: re pies and jacket potatoes, I have the perfect solution - one of those pies served with a side dish of garlic mushrooms in a halved jacket potato! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you don't come to regret your wild garlic when it thrives, it has a tendency to creep and take over, on the plus side its seasonal and will disappear as quick as it appeared. Maybe you should go foraging for some in the meantime, I've located a good place not far from where I live, so am in good supply.

      Love your idea, but I am not making jacket potatoes at the cafe - when I have made them noone orders them and when I don't have them people ask for them. So I've made a firm decision not to bother anymore, did at the start of the venture.

      Delete
  3. Wow, I love garlic and mushrooms and together in a pie is my idea of heaven on a plate. Off to buy some pastry as soon as the shop opens (well it is a lazy Bank Holiday). Thank you for this xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you had a good lazy Bank holiday, I so enjoyed mine. I actually took the day off from work (mondays is my preparation day), woke up this morning regretting it a little as had loads to do, but I managed.

      Delete
  4. They look delicious :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So lovely to hear from you Sue. Do hope your well.

      Delete
  5. These sound absolutely perfect to me. As much as I do love a good jacket potato (part of my staple diet at home), there are so many places where it's still the only option! If I saw these on the menu, I'd struggle to resist! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Rachel. Its really good to hear from you. I hope I am fogiven for not commenting and visiting your blog much these days.

      Delete
  6. Love these cute little pies filled with mushrooms. For me, the potatoes would not be an 'option'! Delicious:)
    I'm your newest follower!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so so much Elisabeth, I promise to come by later and have a nosy of your blog space. Thank you for choosing to follow my blog, humbled.

      Delete
  7. What a delicious and comforting way to enjoy fresh mushrooms! What's not love about pastry pies filled with chestnuts and mushrooms? Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Javelin. Its a pleasure to be part of Made with Luv MOnday,s I wish I could participate all the time, but time runs away from me these days. I hope to get back to blogging proper in the next few months when some things will be changing in my life.

      Delete

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my blog! I will always try to reply, even if its a simple Thank you.
You can also find me on;
Twitter: @SeasonalShaheen