Thursday, 30 May 2013

Chestnut Mushroom and Smoked Tofu Strogonoff

One day the sun is shining and every one is out in their shorts with naked legs, then the next day its raining buckets and every one is sniffling. 

So for evenings when its raining buckets of water from the skies, have yourself a warming bowl of mushroom strogonoff.  This is one of my quick evening supper dishes.  Its featured on my blog in my early days of blogging (see this link).
I don't often cook with smoked tofu, but I wanted to try it, the smokiness of the tofu was quite subtle. D wasn't that keen on it, I didn't mind it too much.
Chestnut Mushroom and Smoked Tofu Strogonoff
Serves 4
250g firm smoked tofu, cut into 1 inch cubes and set aside
3 tablespoons of sunflower or vegetable oil
1 medium white onion, sliced thinly
4 cloves of garlic, chopped
250g chestnut mushrooms, left whole if small or sliced if you prefer
120ml double cream
200ml vegetable stock made with 1/2 teaspoon of bouillon powder
sprig of tarragon or 1 tablespoon of dried
1 tablespoon Tamari or soy sauce

Handful of baby spinach leaves
salt and pepper to taste
In a pan, heat one tablespoon of oil. Add onion and garlic and fry over medium heat until soft and golden. Add mushrooms and continue to saute for about 5 minutes until cooked through.
Add vegetable stock , the tarragon sprig and Tamari or soy sauce to the mushrooms, allow it to gently boil. Then turn the heat down. Add the cream and let it simmer for a few minutes until well combined with the vegetable stock.
Finally, add the smoked tofu, spinach leaves, salt and pepper to taste. Gently heat through or until the spinach leaves wilt.
Serve with plain basmati rice.


  1. Smoked tofu - the jury's out for me. I prefer it thinly sliced in a sandwich with plenty of other ingredients - adding nutritional value and smokiness. I have tried to use it in chillis too. Hope all is well with you.

    1. Thank you Ray. So good to hear from you. I like the sound of your sandwich and will have to try it. YOu may remember my cafe: veg adventure, I have some news in relation to that, so please do come back to learn more. Thank you for your continued support.


If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You