Wednesday, 23 May 2012

Some growth

There is some progress to show in the garden, but I really do feel overwhelmed with the weeding that I dare not show you the other half of the garden.  D is also getting a bit mift with the landlord who still hasn't moved some of the abandoned piles of rubbish in the garden.  This then is having an impact on D's wanting to work in the garden, so I feel like I am left to do some of it myself, like the canes and wigwams for garden peas below.     
So other than sowing some more seeds (for update see here), I haven't done much in the garden either. 
 Some broad beans beginning to flower.
Meteor peas beginning to climb the cane. 
Some leeks growing in pots.  Later they will be transferred into dug ground, probably at my Dad's allotment.  
 Nasturtiums -  I like them. 
Borlotti beans wanting to be transferred into the ground too, another one for the allotment. 
 Swiss Chard and Kale. 
 I didn't have any seeds for Brussels sprouts  
or Scarlet Runner Beans, so I purchased these from the greengrocers at the weekend.  There are going to be a number of vegetable plants that I will have to buy this year.  For a start my Gold Rush Courgettes and Squash plants seems to be suffering from slug attacks. 

Next year, I hope to be more organised and maybe by then, I will get a proper Greenhouse once again, for now - the window ledges inside of the house will have to do.   In my next garden post, I would like to show you progress of the tomatoes, carrots, cabbages, salad leaves, as well as the seeds given to me by fellow bloggers.

26 comments:

  1. you are certainly doing well here. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks wonderful!! I really need to start getting organised with my veggies if I want to enjoy any this summer ;) x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shaheen,
    I think what you have pictured is the awesome byproduct of a lot of hard work. I can't wait to see the "full garden"!

    Paz :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Paz, there really is loads to do.

      Delete
  4. Shaheen, this is very impressive! Never mind more organised next year - it looks like you're doing pretty well this year too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari, but honestly I feel so behind.

      Delete
  5. They all look like nice healthy plants anyway. Don't be too dishearted by theweeds, we all have lots of them this year, it's perfect weather for weeds.

    My landlord asked me not to weed too much at first but to wait until I saw all the different flowers coming through, they have successional shows of colour in the flower beds seemingly. But it's getting to a point now where I can't see the flowers for the weeds!!

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue x
      Can't see the flowers for the weeds, ahhhh. You still look pretty well on top of it to me :)

      Delete
  6. I know what you mean with the weeding...suddenly overnight the weeds have sprung up 10 fold!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks GD, yeah - amazing all that rain.

      Delete
  7. Yey, how exciting! I can't believe your broad beans are flowering, mine have only just popped leaves up above the soil! You've just reminded me to plant the nasturtium seeds I saved from my plants last year, I love the colour of nasturtiums, they're soo cheerful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like eating the nasturtium flowers and leaves for salads too.

      Delete
  8. You have a lot of things growing. The borlotti beans and runner beans look big enough to go into the garden. The rest of the transplants will keep you busy over the next month too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah the borlotti and runners so need to go into the ground. I am hoping to get them in the ground either at the garden or the allotment this w/e.

      Delete
  9. Your plants and veg garden are all looking very promising there Shaheen. I haven't tried growing Brussel sprouts as yet but have some seeds to try out in Spring.
    Hope the landlord clears up the junk soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I cheated this yr with the sprouts and purchased them as I don't have the seeds, next time will be different. I am nervous that the white cabbage butterfly will get them, so I will be def. netting them. Fingers crossed re the junk in the garden too, I may need to have a bonfire.

      Delete
  10. I love this garden post! We also had Nasturtiums last year, their leaves and blossoms are really lovely. And we also bought some ready plants, like tomatoes and cucumbers. We just were to lazy to wait for them to go from seeds. :D

    And I forgot to say: congratulations on the pop-up restaurant! That's really a big step!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Malle,
      My garden is not as colourful as yours, but it will get there. Thanks for the warm wishes re the cafe, the pop up supper club will follow, either at the cafe or my home. x

      Delete
  11. There may be a pile of rubbish in the corner but it looks like you have an industrious area that D should take great pleasure in

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Johanna, but I haven't shown you the whole garden. There is honestly 4 piles of rubbish. It wouldn't be an issue if it was all in one place ...ggrrr...I think a bonfire is due.

      Delete
  12. This all looks very industrious - looking forward to seeing your garden as it grows.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your gardening efforts look so promising, Shaheen. I'm happy to see you are settled and in gardening mode again. Maybe your landlord will be inspired by your work to get moving on that rubbish. You certainly have started a lot of seeds - happy planting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Barbara.
      The four piles of rubbish have been reduced to two, so I have to applaud my landlord

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You