Thursday, 24 May 2012

Smoky Butternut Butter

The first time I had Butternut Butter was sandwiched between two brown slices of bread at a conference around social inclusion in Edinburgh, oh that was maybe 6 - 8 years ago.  And I remember being totally amazed that it was not dairy butter. Its something I have wanted to recreate for a while, and I don't know why but I never got round to making it, until recently when given a Butternut Squash by my mother. 

The version I had all those years ago was just plain and simple.   I wanted to give my homemade version a bit of an oomf .  It was originally going to be with chilli or cayenne powder, but I changed my mind and added some smoked paprika.   
D's been enjoying this saffron coloured Smoky Butter spread over the past few days for his lunch, namely its been spread on his tortilla wraps and then filled with salad leaves.  Its hardly a recipe, but if you want to make it, you will need a Butternut Squash, peeled and chopped into cubes.  Place on a baking tray coated with a tablespoon or two of olive oil and a teaspoon of smoked paprika and salt.  Roast until tender.  Then allow to cool, before blitzing in a food processor with 400g cooked chickpeas.  You can if you so wish, forego the chickpeas, but I found without it the Butternut Squash although smoky, was still quite sweet. So its up to you how you like it and make it your own. 
I am linking this simple recipe with Frugal Follies who is hosting Frugal ThursdayDiet, Desset and Dogs hosting Wellness Week 24 - 28th May 2012; and We Don't Eat Anything with a Face who is hosting Britain's Got Salad where she is calling on fellow bloggers to submit recipes raw and cooked salads, including dips.
Other dips and spreads you may enjoy.
Wild Garlic Hummus
Butter Bean Spreads - Sun dried Tomato and Parsley Or Basil
Spiced Carrot Dip
Or a good old fashioned Chickpea Hummus

32 comments:

  1. I love the idea of this, sweet and smoky, I would happily use it as a dip too, not just as a butter to spread over toast.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shu Han. Yes, I guess its pretty versatile.

      Delete
  2. I love dips...simple but delicious. It would be great if you linked up a post for Britain's Got Salad

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yum, that looks very nice. Kind of a hummus I guess.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I guess it is - just thicker though, that's why I recommend using it as a spread.

      Delete
  4. oh my gosh that's genius!! i bet it's delicious! i can't wait to try! thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shaheen,

    That looks yummy! But we generally don't get butternut squash were I live. Will it taste more or less the same if I try this with pumpkin of any other kind of squash?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sri,
      I think any squash will work, as long as it has a sweetness to it. Do try it with pumpkin for sure. I have no doubt, it will be fine.

      Delete
  6. Oh I could cry. I've had a butternut squash I didn't know what to do with so last night made a soup (in 23 degree heat, I must be mad). Your recipe looks so delicious. And the colour is just so beautiful. Will definitely give it a go. Hope I can get a UK squash.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I'm sorry Plummy Mummy. If it makes you feel better, I have a load of carrots and have been thinking of making soup for the weekend too...I know madness in this good weather. Maybe I should think about carrot cake.

      Delete
  7. Love pumpkin - in fact the man made pumpkin chips tonight for tea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've had sweet potato and parsnip chips, but not pumpkin ones - curious to try now.

      Delete
  8. I know this will be lovely Shaheen because over winter I discovered roasting butternut squash with smoked paprika and making an alternative to mash potato. I like the sound of the chickpeas to make it more of a sandwich filler.
    Sally x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sally.
      My husbands been enjoying it. Its nearly gone.

      Delete
  9. I've never heard of this sort of spread called butter - I would call it dip - but I would definitely gobble it up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would def. call this one a butter, its really thick and needs spreading, a little extra olive oil would make it a dip for sure.

      Delete
  10. YUM! My great great grandmother gave me some of her old butternut seeds and out of curiosity I threw a few in the ground and surprisingly they popped up. I've never grown them so this is a perfect idea to save for the hopeful future harvest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good luck with it. I've never been that successful growing butternut squash from scratch.

      Delete
  11. Fab recipe. Thanks for linking up with Britain's Got Salad!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have one one butternut left in the garage from those i grew from seed last year....
    i think i might try this recipe this weekend, Mr. Chris takes wraps for lunch too and i have just started picking fresh lettuce....
    yumm!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Lucky You Sylvan,
    I've not had much luck growing pumpkins and butternut from scratch. I will try again next year for sure.
    My salad leaves are still v. small, so I envy your small pickings. Hopefully I won't be far too long behind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we have just had some of this butter [made with homegrown squash!] with fresh cut asparagus and lettuce from the allotment and home made bread, delicious tea! Thank you so much for this recipe its going to be a regular!

      Delete
    2. Oh I am so pleased, moreso that you made with with homegrown squash and enjoyed further with homegrown produce - so envious :)

      Delete
  14. Oh, my goodness! I've never heard of anything like this. It sounds amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Mary. You should try it.

      Delete
  15. Interesting had never heard of Butternut Squash Butter, might just have to try it someday, if the squashes mature in time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Scotsman. Good to hear from you and I hope all is well in your world.

      Delete
  16. This looks delicious. I am liking any excuse to use smoked paprika these days, as I recently organized my spices and found three kinds! I haven't ever thought to thicken butternut squash to use as a dip/spread, but this recipe is going on my list. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You