Monday, 21 May 2012

Seaside Days - Weston-super-Mare

D had the day off from work, and having listened to the news followed by the weather person predicting dry skies, on impulse he decided to take a trip to the seaside, not in Wales but across the border in England.  To be more precise, Weston-super-Mare, across the Bristol Channel in North Somerset.  I have to admit, I wanted to go to Bristol, but hey it's his day off and he's driving. 
We arrived and although the sun was not out, it stayed dry throughout our visit.  Here are some snaps of our Sunday morning.
Donkeys getting ready to work.
  A beach shack.
  Entrance to the Grand Pier.   


  A leisurely stroll on the pier.
 On the way out...
Of course, we had to have some chips, heavily salted and soaked in vinegar. 
 Followed by plain vanilla ice-cream.

When we returned home, we enjoyed the last few slices of the 'Cauliflower and Cheddar Cake' I made a few days ago.  I've had Ottolenghi's 'Cauliflower Cake' bookmarked for a while, but the quantity of using 10 free range eggs made me hesitant.  Other than making frittata's or Spanish style tortilla's I have never ever used such a large amount of eggs for one recipe.  Well that changed when I decided to go ahead and make this to share with family.  

It reminded me of lots of different recipes, but combined into one hearty compact savoury cake. First it reminded me of one of my own recipes for a Cauliflower Terrine.  Then the Italian Cauliflower Sformato, the Afghanistan Egg Torte known as Khagina,  the Algerian Markode, the Kookoo  in Iran, and  of course a Quiche. My nephew even described it a little of cauliflower pakora's, even the Gujrati dhokla.  I can see what he means. 
I am linking this recipe with Jacqueline at Tinned Tomatoes. Jacqueline is hosting May's edition #12 of Bookmarked Recipes: a monthly blog event initiated by Ruth of Ruth's Kitchen Experiments.  I have seen the recipe reproduced on a number of blogs, so as well as providing a link to the original recipe, I have decided to go ahead and share it out here, with my very slightly  adapted variation.

Savoury Cauliflower and Cheddar Cake
Serves 8 - 10 depending on slices and appetite
Ingredients
1 cauliflower, weighing around 700g, stalks included
1 red onion, sliced
100g olive oil
½ teaspoon fresh rosemary, minced
10 medium free-range eggs
20g basil, minced
180g plain flour
2½ teaspoons baking powder
½ teaspoon ground turmeric
200g mature cheddar cheese, grated
Salt and black pepper to taste
Butter, for greasing baking tin
1 tablespoon black sesame seeds or black onion/nigella seeds
Method
Heat the oven to 180c/gas mark 4. Steam the cauliflower florets and stalks if using, and steam until soft. Allow the excess water to strain and allow to cool.
For the batter
Set aside some of the onion slices and then finely mince the remaining slices.. Heat the oil in a wide pan and sauté the onion and rosemary until soft. Remove from the heat and allow to cool, add the eggs and basil, and whisk to combine.
Sift the flour, baking powder and turmeric into a large bowl, and add the cheddar cheese.  Season with salt and pepper to taste. Gently add in the egg mixture and whisk to remove any lumpy bits. Finally,  stir in the cauliflower to combine well.
Use a baking parchment to line the bottom of a 24cm round cake tin with a loose base. Grease  the the sides of the baking tin with the butter, put in the seeds and toss them around so they stick to the bottom and sides. Gently pour in the cauliflower egg mixture and arrange the onion rings on top.  Bake in the centre of the oven for 45 - 50 minutes, until golden and firm on top.  Serve warm or at room temperature.  Original recipe can be found here.

27 comments:

  1. I love Weston Super Mud! Your cake also looks fantastic, I do believe I have all the ingredients too....it is a lot of eggs! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah it is a lot of eggs, but worth making if you have a crowd to feed.

      Delete
  2. Oh I remember Weston-Super-Mare. It was one of my last holidays spent with my family.
    Did you manage to see the sea Shaheen? Because I remember for the whole week we were there it never really came in....I remember walking for miles to try and reach it!
    Such happy memories ;)
    You're Savoury Cauliflower and Cheddar Cake looks incredible. Just a wee slice for me please ;D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Neesie, good point. Nope, did not see the sea- very muddy though.

      PS You would have been welcome to have had a wee slice of the cauli cake.

      Delete
  3. looks amazing - will give this a go next week. love cauliflower!

    ReplyDelete
  4. One dish that tastes like so many dishes? I got to try this. Thanks for sharing the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You have to Sri and then let me know what you think of it.

      Delete
  5. chips and ice cream sound perfect for sun and sand - love your photos. And I love the sound of that cauliflower cake - I think I have seen it before and thought the same of the 10 eggs but I love the thought of cake for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Johanna. the cauli cake has appeared on lots of blogs, but of course I had to try it for myself. And it was good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you had a good day there. And the cauliflower cake looks delicious, like all your recipes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love it when you post about your days out, they are always interesting...Can you freeze this Shaheen? I haven't a crowd, so try to freeze stuff when I can. Good to hear that D has work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you e. I do get nervous sometimes, as some of my reders just like me posting on growing and cooking - the main two themes on my blog. But I do like ringing the changes now and again. I have to be honest, I rarely freeze cooked dishes, I am assuming you can as it is quiche like.

      Delete
  9. I have never been to Weston-super-mare but looks like one of those great English seaside destinations. Love the donkeys on the beach haven't seen that for years. Yes I would have baulked at 10 eggs too but it looked like the Cauliflower Cake was worth it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Magnolia,
      There were so many donkeys on that beach, and quite popular too with visitors.

      10 eggs - yes - a lot, but it was worth it. And it all went.

      Delete
  10. What a nice day trip ... my husband and I must have passed right by this lovely spot, as we toured the area a few years back ... spent time in Cornwall near Boscastle and Tintagel and then drove up to the bridge that crosses the river near Cardiff and journeyed on up toward Abergavenny and the Wye valley ... it was such a beautiful tour.

    That cauli cake looks a good supper to come home to! It's still plentiful here, but we're making the transition to all the Spring greens and asparagus, so I may have to wait til later this summer to give it a go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Susan.
      I've never been to Cornwall, a place I would def. like to check out. Hope you get to make the cauli cake in the future and when you do, invite family and friends - its a whopper.

      Delete
  11. I wanted to go there, but nothing but rain :( At least I can have a look at it via your photos :)Did you go for a donkey ride?

    Your cake looks absolutely stunning. Just a bit to egg-heavy for me. I found this vegan recipe just yesterday (http://www.dietdessertndogs.com/2011/07/11/multi-faceted-chickpea-quizza/) maybe I can combine them somehow. Should make an awesome vegan cake *hehe*
    Also great that you can use the cauliflower as a whole (florets and stalk).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, I didn't go on the donkeys, I feel to old for that :) Your right about this recipe being egg heavy, look forward to seeing your vegan variation. I actually prefer the stalks of the cauli, than the head.

      Delete
  12. Hope you enjoyed your day at the great British seaside, I see they've gone a bit mad with the red white & blue bunting!
    I love all those old seaside 'ornaments' like the big sausage and the ice cream and lets not forget the cute donkeys.
    Cauliflower cake looks a good one for a big gathering. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sally, the red white and blue bunting is all over the U.K, not just in Weston super Mare :) The cauli cake is def. worth making for a crowd.

      Delete
  13. My husband had many family hols in Weston when he was young and we've gone back twice with the children and had our own lovely times there too.
    Lisa x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Lisa, its certainly a popular holiday destination.

      Delete
  14. I look forward to spending some quality time at Brecon Beacons holiday cottages. I love the place. Look at the photos! That is so amazing!

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You