Sunday, 20 May 2012

The Cardiff Vegetarian Festival 2012

On Saturday evening, I went along with D and my niece to the Cardiff Vegetarian Festival.   Its in its fourth year and its one of the smallest vegetarian food events I have been too.  We stayed for a couple of hours.  There were talks on veganism and fruitarian lifestyle, as well as a DJ music and a pop up veggie circus (that I missed).

I especially applauded the Being Vegan Information Stall. It was the first time my niece has ever had a vegan cake and she liked it. So thank you to the Vegan Information stall for their lovely free tasters of which we enjoyed the brownies, a quiche and chocolate tart. 
I also enjoyed a vegan Lentil Pie (see below) and a vegan Lemon tart - both from Cafe Atma.  The lentil tart reminded me of my heavily adapted recipe for 3 lentil vegetable loaf.  I would loved to have tried the dishes from the other Welsh, namely Cardiff based vegan and vegetarian caterers there, but it would have been impossible - even for someone with my ravenous appetite for all things vegetable. 
Here is a list of the vegan and vegetarian caterers there: Cafe Atma (image 3 and 4) , Ethical Chef, Hipo Munchies (image 5), Hungry Planet (image 1 and 2), Milgi (an establishemnt that went completely vegetarian about 2 years ago), Parsnipship Co-operative and The Vegetarian Food Studio.  I am sure I will get to enjoy there food over the next couple of years.  As it was a small venue and quite tight, spread across two rooms and the courtyard.  I did struggle to take pictures of all the stalls present, so here are just a handful of edible delights spread out. 
Also, to celebrate the start of National Vegetarian Week a challenge was set by Great Green Eats (part of the Cardiff Vegetarian Festival) to submit an unusual, creative and delicious meat-free recipe and be with a chance of winning some prizes.  Well I decided to submit my Laverbread, Puy Lentil and Mushroom Savoury Puddings in a poster style(image 6) - original image below to the competition. 
The submitted recipes were displayed at the Cardiff Vegetarian Festival and judged by local vegetarian chefs.  To see how I did, follow this link  I look forward to the festival next year, when it will undoubtedly grow with even more veggie caterers, maybe, maybe even me with my new vegetarian cafe venture - see here.  By the way, I am still seeking help for volunteers - see here - if your interested or know of someone who may be. 

22 comments:

  1. It's funny you should mention it, I just posted about making a vegan birthday cake for my Mum. It was amaaaazing - I actually preferred it to normal chocolate cake!

    The food you've photographed looks delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love the look of your mothers birthday vegan cake, tried to comment yesterday but for some reason I could not. Will come by again later today.

      Delete
  2. Congratulations. By the way, what did you win?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I won a free place at a supper club and a signed cookbook from Demuths restaurant in Bath.

      Delete
    2. The book is good, but who gives away a free place at a supper club, surely it should be 'a meal for two'?!

      Delete
    3. For me it wasn't about the prizes, or the winning. I just wanted to share my recipe.

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Good selection of food for sure, I just found the venue small. Most people had to spill outside - good job it was a good sunny evening.

      Delete
  4. Congratulations.

    It was a brilliant recipe and deserved to win!!

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Sue. I'm pretty pleased.

      Delete
  5. A vegetarian festival! That's great & apart! :) I would love to have a vegetarian festival over here in Belgium, in this big meat eating land!

    All of the foods you showed us here,vegan or not look so tasty & appetizing! Good for you for participating! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sophie. I wish I could have shared food from all the stalls, they would have made you drool.

      Delete
  6. would love to have visited this!
    maybe next year...
    publicity did not get to me in time, this is the first I have heard of it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am sure the one next year will be bigger and even better. Maybe we will even meet.

      Delete
  7. looks like a great event and a lovely outing - congratulations on your win - well deserved!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Johanna, got some other wins to share too. I know you'll be happy for me.

      Delete
  8. Just missed it by a couple of days :(
    But congratulation for 1st recipe prize!!! You are awesome!!
    And I wish you all the best for your project. I think it is a fantastic idea. Maybe hard work and sleepless nights in the beginning but it will reward you, I'm sure. Next time I'm around I'll be happy to visit your café :))
    and make sure to include it in Happy Cow. A lot of veggie people use it as a reference, well, I do.
    Hope you will still have time to blog some recipes when the café is up and running.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh what a shame, and if you did make it - we probably still would have missed each other. Thanks for the congratulations, means a lot. I haven't had anyone from that FB page come on over yet.

      I am looking forward to getting stuck in, but its taking time to take off the ground. Need to find helpers for a start. When I have a supper club, I will sure let you know and who knows we may just meet. I take note of the Happy Cow. I am still hoping to blog, as this venture could be make or break, ah an adventure for sure.

      Delete
  9. Wow the festival looks great, I've never been to anything like that probably because such events are thin on the ground in Yorkshire, as are good veggie cafes. Looks like you tried some nice vegan stuff too.
    Hey well done for winning the best recipe, well deserved I'm really pleased for you.
    Was sorry to hear that some of the comps people have started to want promoing on your blog.
    All the best with ventures, Sally x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sally, these events are relatively new in Wales, as you know I lived in Scotland and to be honest there wasn't anything 'veggie festival based' thre either, so this is def. a good thing and one that will surely grow as the years go on. Thanks for the warm wishes re the winning, means a lot.

      Delete
  10. How I missed this post, I don't know!! Belated and excited Congratulations on winning!! and getting recognized for your fine food. How wonderful Shaheen! and so well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you SO MUCH GardeningBren x
      Its such a small event, that I don't think many people know about it or the win really, still I was pleased enough with it.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You