Monday, 28 May 2012

Preserved Lemons with Red Chillies

I am hoping to enjoy lots of North African inspired recipes come Summertime, so I decided to go ahead and make my own Preserved Lemons.  In the past, I have to admit, I have always purchased them from a Middle Eastern store, not this time, especially as its pretty easy and thrifty to make your own.  Follow any recipe for Preserved Lemons and just add a couple of bay leaves, a few fresh red chillies, pierced along with a handful of coriander seeds.

I hope to be enjoying and sharing some of these pickly lemons next month.
I am linking this rather large jar of home-made Preserved Lemons with Red Chillies with Nazima at Working London Mummy  and Laura at How To Cook Good Food for the One Ingredient: Lemon event; and Jill at Real Food Forager who is hosting Fat Tuesday 29th May 2012.  

16 comments:

  1. I have thought of making preserved lemons many times over the years. Maybe this post will push me over the edge! Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Stephen, I hope you do. Its a super store cupboard ingredient to add pazzaz to couscous dishes.

      Delete
  2. mmm lemons and chilis --- i bet thats delicious! yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a brilliant idea. This is something I have always wanted to do but have not yet manage it! I love anything pickled and all things chilli related and will be watching to see what you use them for!
    Thanks so much for entering #oneingredient this month :)
    Laura@howtocookgoodfood
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Laura. I'm lookign forward to using them too, hopefully they will turn out fine.

      Delete
  4. Mmm... looks very interesting! I have never tried this before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've preserved lemons before but never added anything with them, chillies are a great addition!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Bridget, maybe the next time you do preserved lemons add other ingredients to it. I wish I had thrown in some herbs too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooooh! this is something i use in a lot of cooking but never thought to do myself either. on it!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kristy,
      Hope you get to make your own.

      Delete
  8. I love preserved lemons and always have a homemade jar in the fridge. However, I don't add bay leaf and chile. I love that idea! I will be doing that with the next batch! Gorgeous jar of lemons!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks mjskit.
    Those I've seen in Middle Eastern stores always have other ingredients in them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love this recipe, I don't do much preserving but this recipe is one I may use since I can think of lots of uses for the lemons

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Nazima, I never used too - up until a few years ago.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You