Tuesday, 8 May 2012

Garden Friends

Since beginning this blog, I have made a number of good blogger friends, some have remained friends, others have drifted away.  When the opportunity presents itself, I have mentioned some of my blogger friends on my blog posts.  Today, I would like to introduce you to Brenda at Gardeningbren in Nova Scotia, Canada.  I think I discovered Brenda's blog in July 2010 and have been reading it ever since.  Its always lovely to stumble across people who share the same interests as you, even if they are on the other side of the world.
Well a few months ago, before I left Scotland.  We had promised to exchange tea-towels made in our respected countries.  Brenda waited patiently for me to move home (Scotland to Wales, U.K)and then forwarded me with this home-warming gift.  Out of the generous sized envelope first came a beautiful botanical themed  tea-towel appropriately named 'Garden Friends'.  It is utterly wonderful.  I have to admit, I am a bit of a tea towel hoarder and don't really like using the pretty tea towels and often keep them for display, so this will be cherished and I will try and find a place on one of my walls.  Thank you so much Brenda.
Next came out of the packets was seeds, oh so many seeds to sow. I am excited.  To name a few with there evocative names, there is:
Arugula Astro
Climbing Trombocino
Courgette Black Beauty
Dragon Tongue Bush Bean
Fortex Pole Bean
Kohlrabi Early White Vienna
Lazy Housewife Green Snap Pole Bean
Spinach King of Denmark
Sweet Green and Reds
Tasmanian Chocolate Tomato Dwarf
I need to get my skates on and sow some of them this week.

In the package there was also a memoir called Maman's Homesick Pie: A Persian Heart in an American Kitchen by Donia Bijan.  Its been a long while since I read a book, so I am really looking forward to reading this one.  Its got some good recipes too, such as Rose Petal Ice-cream.  I can't wait to make and try it. Within the pages of the hardback book I found a beautiful silver bookmark, which I am going to keep for my Christmas tree this year.  It will dangle and glisten from the tree and remind me of my many blog friendships.
I also loved the envelope smothered with affection in lots of Canadian stamps.  Click on the images for a closer gander.  I totally made me smile. Thank you so so much Brenda.  Your warm loving gifts are truly appreciated. 
Please, please do go by and visit Brenda at Gardeningbren in Nova Scotia . I know she will give you a very warm welcome. 

27 comments:

  1. beautiful...
    inspiring to know blog friendship can be long lasting.....
    amazing gifts too..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such a great present! Seeds are a perfect gift for a gardener! And those stamps are so cool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! Looks like you have lots to plant now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly have, do hope the weather in the next few days is kind.

      Delete
  4. We are all building a web of friendship!
    Brenda bought two of my bowls!! It was good to see them safe and working on her blog, the best feedback possible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know and they were beautiful too. Your so right, its the best feedback possible.

      Delete
  5. Oh goodness..a big Blush!! You are more than welcome Shaheen. As a blog friend, you have enriched my knowledge and skill regarding food and gardening. I love your blog conversation and your down to earth quality that shines when you write.

    It is so kind of you to direct folks to my very very basic blog. Thank you. I am so pleased you liked the tea towel and the seeds..you know I couldn't resist including some now that you are able to garden in your new home.

    Thanks also goes to our fantastic Canada postmistress Jennifer. She and I put together as many Canadian artistic stamps as we could to wing the packet to you...but..ahem.. unfortunately it went by ship and not by air which took so long!! Still, sounds as if the waiting was worth it (BIG GRIN)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YOU ARE ABSOLUTELY WELCOME GARDENING BREN.
      Your blog is not very basic, its like many blogs around - humbling and honest. Ilove the Canadian stamped envelope and will keep hold of it as long as I can.

      Delete
  6. Oh how lovely to get a package, and it looks as though all the gifts were very well chosen with you in mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, she certainly knows her blogger friend.

      Delete
  7. I love this! Haven't forgotten ya, just drifted over to Wordpress and scrambling to reconnect with my bloggeroos :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know you haven't ecogrrl. I've been a bit slow on catching up with fellow bloggers too, so totally understand. I will come on over soon too - promise.

      Delete
  8. I'm still here though I need to get back on track with blogging. Thanks for the heads up about Brenda's blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is such a lovely thing to do! I know what you mean about not using the nice tea towels.

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a wonderful package to receive and so very 'you'.

    There are truly some wonderful friendships struck through this happy blogging lark!!

    Sue xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes Sue, your so right - its so so 'ME'. i LOVE IT!

      And yes, blogland can be wonderful too.

      Delete
  11. What a lovely gift to receive in the post. Can't wait to see some of the produce from those lovely seeds.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fingers crossed, its not too late to sow some of them. I'm esp. looking forward to the tomatoes!

      Delete
  12. What lovely gifts from your bloggy friends, it's so nice to receive interesting letters & parcels. I think we all spend so much time in front of computers these days that the thought of someone writing a letter and putting a bit of effort in makes it very special.
    Love the teatowel, I'm a teatowel collector, I recently turned some retro style teatowels into pillowcases, that way I could admire them more with no fear of ruining them in the kitchen.
    Have fun planting the new seeds. Sally x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Patty.
      You right we are guilty these days of spenign too much time in front of the computer than writing. I'd like the idea of turning some of my teatowels into cushions maybe in the future, rather than pillows. Right now, I want to get some nice frames and frame some of them. This one is certainly high on the list.

      Delete
  13. What a lovely story (: It's stories like these that make me smile and be grateful for my friends.

    I get it about not using pretty tea towels though, I do that, even with pretty notebooks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Shu Han.
      I don't actually have many close friends, so the blogger friends are appreciated, even though they are so far. OOh so interesting to note that you don't even like using pretty notebooks, I went through a phase like that.

      Delete
  14. Brilliant blog. I have noticed you have several Welsh recipes which is great to see. Are you in Wales? I have my seeds on order and am looking forward to a good sow soon. Happy days (www.thebeachhousekitchen.wordpress.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Leroy. Yes I am in Wales.

      Delete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You