Thursday, 31 May 2012

Oven Roasted Cherry Tomato Pasta

I picked up 2 little tubs of cherry tomatoes for a £1 from the market  a few days ago.  When we got home, D popped one in his mouth and went 'ugh, these are tasteless, plus they are going soft'.  As someone who is quite thrifty, I don't like throwing fruit and vegetables away, so I decided to oven roast the cherry tomatoes to inject some flavour into them.

To oven roast the cherry tomatoes
Preheat oven to gas mark 6/200oc.
Place the tomatoes halves in an ovenproof dish, cut side up.  Sprinkle lightly with sea salt and ground black pepper and drizzle oer 1 - 2 tablespoons olive oil.  Bake for 20 minutes or until lightly golden brown.

Having oven roasted and caramelised these little red poppers, I had to think of a way to use them.  These roasted cherry tomatoes could easily be used as part of an antipasti, for a light lunch or a pasta salad, which is what I made for D's working lunch yesterday.  It went down really well.
I have to be honest, I don't know the quantity of ingredients I put in this 'Oven Roasted Cherry Tomato Pasta' and just did it all to taste.  Here is the list if your interested.
Cooked pasta
Oven roasted cherry tomatoes
Medium Red onion, finely sliced
black olives, chopped
Cucumber, chopped
Extra virgin olive oil
White wine vinegar
Salt and pepper
I am sharing this at Presto Pasta Nights (PPN). PPN was founded by Ruth Daniels of Once Upon a Feast and each Friday night a different host posts a roundup of pasta dishes submitted by bloggers from around the world. This week PPN #266 is being hosted by Stash of Simple Kitchen Seasons.

18 comments:

  1. It looks really delicious! I'd sure want to eat it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't it wonderful how a little time roasting can bring flavor to the blandest vegetable? Thanks for sharing a great lunch with Presto Pasta Night.

    ReplyDelete
  3. yum! that does sound yummy! and i love the fun shape of that pasta! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My Mum never seems to need a recipe when she cooks. She simply tosses in whatever ingredient or quantity that she deems is necessary. I suppose that's why I love baking, you just follow the recipes and if it's a good recipe, it'll turn out all right. With cooking, it's a little different... (sighs)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mother is like that too, amazing our mothers :)

      Delete
  5. pasta salad is a good lunch at any time... hope you get your own cherry toms soon, sure they will be much nicer! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sylvan, my tommys are so titchy. I'd wish they'd hurry up and grow.

      Delete
  6. Don't worry about quantities... it looks great and in the end when cooking with "passion" it is more fun and you just add more of what you like most and that's it! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a great idea - I am embarrassed to admit that when I've had tomatoes like that, I don't generally know what to do with them and they sit in the fridge until they really do need to go in the bin. It annoys me too though. Next time - this!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kari.
      Its a good way to inject some flavour into them.

      Delete
  8. Hello Shaheen: I'm still following you! but I cant be in fron of the computer to much time because since may 1 I'm sick, sick,sick (A good sign for me because I'm pregnant) but I hope I'll be better in a month or two. For the moment I cant see food, or smell food, or think of it! But I Love your growing progress in the garden!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Veronica, I know - I know. I have been bad at not coming by fellow blogs recently with my distractions, but you have a FABULOUS EXCUSE - Congratulations to you and your family x I am sooooo HAPPY FOR YOU. I hope to do a growing post in the next few days, so feel free to stay away until then - I totally understand x

      Delete
  9. I love oven roasted tomatoes, great for adding flavour as you say, and they freeze too - for adding to other dishes at a later date when you've had a glut.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You