Monday, 30 August 2010

Roasted Runner beans for lunch

I’ve eaten some of the runner beans steamed, this time I thought I’d oven roast them. I remembered a recipe I made last year adapted from Denis Cotters Paradiso Seasons. I thought I’d make a lazy version of it again, but this time with runner beans. Lazy for two reasons, one I was rather tired from the gardening yesterday and wanted to spend little time in the kitchen and more time on the sofa; and two, the spices in the dish have been toned down a little because I was not in the mood to follow the step by step cooking instructions. The end result was still very flavourful and rather filling.
Here are some photographs of progress in the garden yesterday.
I was unable to step into my plot without stepping on or brushing against another plant, now there is room for me to step into the plot, so much so that you can see my stepping tiles as I’ve pulled out most of the brassica plants. Sadly no home-grown cavolo nero for me this winter, and the sprouts, I have left two plants in the soil, but I don’t know if they’ll be there for the winter as they look pretty raggedy with the caterpillar damage.
We also harvested our new potatoes growing in pots. We should have really harvested them a month ago, but they are edible that's the main thing.
Surprised to see some strawberries still growing.
Picked some more bolted rainbow chard. I only touched the golden apple pumpkin and it fell of its vine, so that had to come upstairs with me too. I also snipped some lemon verbena, I am happy just sniffing it, but am going to dry some in the windowsill, so that I can enjoy it later as a herbal tea, maybe.
Even though the runner beans had lost its vibrant green colour, cooked this way they were rather succulent.
Roasted runner beans with couscous
Serves 4
Ingredients
8 shallots
Salt and pepper to taste
300g runner beans, topped and tailed, then sliced into diagonal pieces
2 cloves of garlic, sliced
1 large fresh red chillies, chopped into rings
1 tablespoon of cumin
50ml vegetable stock or water
200g cooked chickpeas
150g cooked couscous
Optional feta cheese and drizzling of flavoured oil
Method
Preheat oven to gas mark 6. Toss the peeled shallots or onions with a little olive oil into a large baking dish and roast until they have softened a little and beginning to colour. While that is cooking, soak the couscous in 150ml water or vegetable stock. Stir the couscous once and leave it to absorb the water or stock. Add the chopped beans and garlic to the shallots. Toss well and return back to the oven. Cook for 5 minutes, then add the sliced chillies and cumin along with the 50ml water to keep the beans from sticking. Cook for a few more minutes until the beans are tender and the flavours are well absorbed. Stir in the chickpeas.
Sift the couscous with a fork, then gently stir into the cooked vegetables. Serve with a drizzle of the flavoured oil or cubes of feta cheese.

12 comments:

  1. Lovely presentation of the couscous. Your garden is looking great as ever - especially that nice crop of new potatoes. Looking forward to seeing what you do with those little guys!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats a lovely dish for lunch :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I could easily make a meal out of this dish with the couscous and chickpeas. You are right, feta would be great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your roasted runner beans sound wonderful, and I love the combination of ingredients in this dish. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my- the cous cous looks so neat on the plate- very creative. I ned a garden- looking at yours is making me really jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  6. WoW ! I'm soimpressed u planted potatoes also in the pot....next time when u plant them if u don't mind do a little tutorial on how to plant them in the pot.....thanks for sharing your beautiful produce...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you Monica.
    I'll probably either just boil or steam the potatoes, so chances are they may not feature cooked on the blog, but you never know...


    Thank you Rachana.


    Thank you so much Mother Rimmy.
    I am so delighted to read that you like this recipe!


    Thank you Eggy aka intuitive eggplant.


    Thank you so much Gastronomy Gal.
    If I was just dishing this up to eat, it would not be so pretty on the plate, but for the blog, ah a girl has to try to make it look good for her readers :D

    Its so funny how we envy other peoples green places, you are admiring mine, but I am admiring other peoples as I think it is so small. Ah life...I do sincerely hope you get a little bit of green patch to call your own one-day!


    Thank you so, So much Spice for humbling me by becoming a follower.
    I've never considered doing a tutorial, but as you've requested it, i'll keep it in mind - providing i'm organised, I wasn't this year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. DELICIOUS... some of my favorite tastes & ingredients here. :o)

    ReplyDelete
  9. MMMMMM,..I so much love this tasty oven dish!!

    Your garden is triving with a variety of great fresh produce!! oooh,..yes!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you so much Tracy. I am so delighted to read that there are some ingredients here you like.


    Thank you so much Sophie.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum, what a great collection of some of my favorite foods!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Melissa.
    Hope you'll come by again.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You