Sunday, 8 August 2010

Spiced Broccoli 'cream' pasta

We've being eating broccoli a lot recently, either steamed or as part of a Bake. So you can imagine my reaction when I harvested two large heads of broccoli.

I wanted something slightly different and decided on experimenting. It began with the idea of a broccoli pesto, then a broccoli sauce, then finally I settled on the idea of a Broccoli cream - one without dairy (single or double cream). The blended broccoli resulted in a thick puree. Now that's a good way to get someone to eat their greens, plus its packed with flavour too.
Although I have used it for pasta here. This spiced broccoli 'cream' is rather versatile. I think it could also be used to coat new potatoes and even stirred through plain boiled rice.
I don't have an exact recipe for this, so please make it to your own taste and use this only as a guide.
Spiced Broccoli 'cream'
Serves 2 - 4
Ingredients
2 heads of broccoli including tender stalks, chopped and steamed. Set aside.
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
Olive oil
Pinch of chilli flakes or to taste
Salt to taste
100ml vegetable stock
Method
In a wide pan, heat oil and then add the onion and cook until soft and translucent. Add the chilli flakes and cook for a couple of minutes. Turn off and allow to cool.
In a food processor or blender, add the cooled onions with oil, the broccoli stalks and vegetable stock. Blitz to a puree. Taste and adjust according to taste. Now its ready to use as you wish.

17 comments:

  1. Oh yum, great recipe Mangocheeks. Glad you're managing to get plenty of produce from your garden.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Now that looks delicious and sounds delicious....and a rather quick meal also, after a long day.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Brilliant! What a neat new way to try broccoli.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Choclette.
    I really wish it was the case that I was getting plenty of veg from the garden, but the sad truth is that I am having to supplement heavily. But I am appreciative of what is coming though.


    Gardening Bren,
    Thank you. It is pretty quick.


    Thank you Mama.
    It made a nice change from the steaming!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's a good idea, thanks for sharing. I sometimes make broccoli blue cheese soup have you tried that?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Cabbage Tree Farm.
    It was the first recipe that made me go 'um I actually like broccoli like this'. But you've reminded me, I will certainly be making the soup. Thank you.


    Thank you so much Polly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am an expert on vegetable 'creams' now that I am feeding Cooper, so I know how good this tastes. It is also good pureed with sweet potato and peas too. Very yummy! My other favourite is leek, sweet potato, spinach and peas. Mmmmmm :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks great! There are so many things that you can do with broccoli if you just think outside the box! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  9. YUM YUM YUM! This looks like perfect, healthy, creamy declicous pasta, and I loooove pasta! Its one of my favorite things!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is a great idea--love the creamy with NO dairy! I'm going to try a version of this later in the week. Thanks! :o)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh that looks lovely and a really good way to use broccoli. I am not that keen on broccoli steamed, but I love purple sprouting - is that weird?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jacqueline.
    I have no doubt that you are an expert on vegetable 'creams'! and I am liking the sound of them, esp sweet potatoes, spinach and peas - but this one is for adults hence the chilli kick :)


    Thank you Vic.
    Its pretty versatile, something I only noted when I started cooking with it, otherwise is was just steamed veg!


    Thank you Morgan.
    Yes I felt like a green goddess when i was eating this, certainly looked and tasted healthy.


    Thank you Tracy.
    Hope you like :o)


    Thank you Kath.
    I'm like you I don't like broccoli steamed either, but funnily enought I too like purple sprouting - may be because its a more tender stalk.

    ReplyDelete
  13. That's a gorgeous green sauce, Mango. Broccoli is so versatile and works so well on pasta.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hullo, that looks like a dish that goes well hot or cold, am I right?
    I'm actually looking for a good western food that will not need re-heating as I am planning to take it on a trip. Do you think pesto can do the trick?
    Thanks :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi thoughts that dance.
    This dish is def. good cold.
    Pesto is good as you can stir it into cooked pasta.
    Happy New Year to you.

    ReplyDelete

If you’ve tried one of my recipes, Please let me know by leaving a comment below or tagging me social media with @SeasonalShaheen.

Thank You